Thursday, August 30, 2012

I'm getting smarter...

Me vs. the shoe closet...

2008

2010 

2012


Notice that tiny door in the back?  It leads to a world of pure imagination!  We knocked out the wall, cut a normal-sized door in half, and wa-la!  A cupboard under the stairs.  We finished it off with carpet and stapled up some white cardboard walls and added lights.  It's like a really nice homeless shelter in there.  Perfect for a boy-wizard.    

The shoes look kind of stupid, I know, especially those ones piled on that top shelf, but oh well.  I might get some totes or something to put them in so it looks better, or I might just leave it and continue to apologize for it.  (Probably the second option.)  I built that shelving beside the tiny door myself.  I apologize for that as well.  But the closet is too narrow to build a shoe rack on either side, so we had to make that space work as shoe storage.  

A metal rod used to stretch across the space under that upper shelf.  Our coats and some hanging shoe racks blocked access to the back of the closet, where there was some extra storage space.  Not that we needed to get back there often--it was basically a place to throw random crap.  But we took down the rod to give us access to the back of the closet, and added coat hooks to the left wall instead.  On the right wall are three backpack hooks and a dry-erase board.  And of course we painted (it was dirty white before).

The point is, I have a cupboard under my stairs. (!!!)



9 comments:

Memzy said...

I wanna know what's on the white board.

Jana said...

Before you said it, I was looking at the pictures and thought, is that a tiny little cupboard under her stairs??? And then you told me that it indeed was, and I got jealous.

Cristin said...

So lucky! I want a place for a wizard to live....

Cristin said...

It looks awesome by the way.

Carol said...

You ARE getting smarter.

Hot Pants said...

I'm too afraid to open any of my closets up. So I guess I'll be staying dumb.

Katie said...

I'm impressed! With the closet, and also the documentation of it. I can barely pull of annual back to school pictures of my children, let alone the space where I keep their shoes.

Jenny ESP said...

danke, everyone.

M--the white board has three lists on it. Dinners (that we cross off as we go), snack ideas (so the kids will stop asking what they can eat after school), and our after school schedule for the week. I expect we'll this up for several weeks. Then it will have random stick figure drawings and scribbles on it. None of us are artist-types. Well, except for me. Remember my Donald Trump drawing on DrawSomething? "You're fired!"

Markie23 said...

What is behind that little door inside the closet and why is the door knob in the bottom right corner? I can't believe no one asked this as it is driving me crazy.