Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Punching Handballs

Cord hurt his arm/wrist last Thursday in PE. He punched a handball that was flying straight at him "full force!" he said. When I picked him up from the nurse’s office, his eyes were red and he was wiping his cheeks every so often, but that was it. He thought he had sprained his wrist because he couldn't move it. So I got him an ace bandage with a splint. But his "sprained wrist" wasn't getting better; he was waking up in the middle of the night asking for pain medicine. So on Sunday (3 days later), we took him to an Urgent Care to have it X-rayed. Turns out, his arm is broken.


Cord was thrilled (as you can see). He didn't even try to hide it. When the doctor said it was a broken arm, Cord started pumping his fist and saying "YES!! YES!!"

I took him to an orthopedic physician today to get his permanent cast. Turns out, he has two broken bones. The radius is broken straight across, and one of his wrist bones is broken. He chose a green cast so it would clash with his school's dress code. I really liked the doctor. He asked if I was Cord’s sister. I played it cool, but inside I was pumping my fists and saying, "YES! YES!"

But here's the really cool thing. I sent him to school yesterday in the temporary cast (the tan/white one) and I didn’t bother to send a note or anything because I figured it's pretty obvious… he has a broken arm. Well, his PE coach called me that afternoon. He was in disbelief and wanted to confirm that Cord had in fact broken his arm. The coach was like, “I looked at his arm after it happened, but I didn’t really say anything or think much of it, because it looked fine.”

And Cord had shown up to PE the next day with his wrist wrapped in that ace bandage. His coach probably looked at that ace bandage the same way I look at ace bandages: with a heavy dose of skepticism.

The reason the conversation was cool is because while I was on the phone with the PE coach, his opinion of Cord changed. I could hear it in his voice. He went from thinking Cord was this wimpy kid who wore a stupid ace bandage to get out of PE, to thinking Cord is a pretty decent kid. He kept saying, “Wow. I can’t believe it. Don’t worry about his grade, he can help me with some stuff. Wow. His arm was broken that whole time?” And Cord said that while I was on the phone with the coach, Cord had changed into his PE clothes and started running laps, and when his coach saw, he waved him down and made him stop, and Cord was pretty annoyed because what does running have to do with his arm? Because what the coach didn't realize is Cord likes PE. He doesn’t want to fake an injury and sit on the bench.

Isn't it awesome when you find out someone isn't what they seemed to be? It's it awesome when it's your kid, and your kid's PE coach is the one finding out, and you get to hear his voice change over the phone?


11 comments:

Memzy said...

My kids greatest wish of all time is to have a broken bone and get a cast of any color they want.

Cord is a beast!!

I never had a broken bone as a kid. ::sigh::

Memzy said...

Well, I fractured a tiny bone in my foot once but I couldn't have a cool cast and stuff.

I knew AV would correct me on that one.

Cristin said...

SWEET!!!

Casts are chic magnets.

eekareek said...

Memzy did her 2 posts in a row thing again.

eekareek said...

I can totally picture the fist pump. I am super excited for Cord and his broken arm. I personally thought breaking a bone sucked but I am glad Cord feels happy.

Erin Beck said...

I just tried to break my arm. It's not that cool. Actually it hurts now.

Markie23 said...

Mrs. Tom Thumb had a broken arm... I'm pretty sure.

Carol said...

Cord. Is. AWESOME!! I'm super impressed with how he handled it. And Memzy is right--as I read her first post I said out loud "but I was a bad mom and thought she was wining about nothing for 3 days until HER X-ray showed a broken foot" I still cringe--not at the broken foot--at my lack of compassion. Wasn't my first mistake--wasn't my last. Congrats on your cool kid.

Krissy said...

Congratulations to Cord on the broken arm. And congratulations to you for being mistaken for his sister. Both are totally awesome!

Hot Pants said...

Bailey stubbed his toe last week and went on and on about it. I just got annoyed and told him to put his shoes on and mow the lawns anyway. When we got home he took his shoe off and his big toe was swollen huge and all black. I cringed internally, then said all casually, "it'll be fine"...
Cord's a luck dog.

Jana said...

Oh I'm so glad you're blogging. (Knock on wood.) You funny.
^Lollerz at hotpants too.