Tuesday, September 14, 2010

For Music People

A while ago, in the midst of a heated email exchange, in an effort to distract me from my current hissy fit, Landee Landerson sent me a link to this sweet Internet radio site called Grooveshark. I followed the link, and immediately went calm. I was a toddler throwing a tantrum, and Landee had just slipped me a binki, and that binki's name was... Grooveshark.

It's like Pandora, only better because you can make playlists within your Internet radio, and replay or skip songs as many times as you'd like. And no commercials. Only downside is it's not ready for iPhone yet.

Using Grooveshark, I looked up Brandon Flowers' new solo album, Flamingo, which was leaked onto the Internet early (but I think it's officially out today). As I'm sure you've heard, his first single, "Crossfire," is an utter masterpiece, so I expected greatness. I listened to endured all 14 tracks, and found the good ones one for you, so now you don't have to feel that sickening disappointment as you realize, song by song, that almost the whole thing is crap.

After "Crossfire," the next best song is called "Only the Young." Click HERE to hear it. You have to listen to it three times before you fall in love with it. "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" and "Jilted Lover" are decent after you give them a few listens. They at least sound Killers-esque. The rest is crap. Click HERE to hear a sampling of what I mean. It's truly baffling/tragic. The only person who should sound like Johnny Cash is Johnny Cash. And Joaquin Phoenix.

Still, much love for B.Flowers. I hope he doesn't take my review too hard.

15 comments:

Markie23 said...

What's your definition of "Music People"? Am I being presumptuous commenting on this post? When you mentioned Crossfire I was really hoping I was going to hear something like this.

Jenny ESP said...

According to Urban Dictionary, "Music People" is defined as "people who like music." That's all.

And that was a mean when you made me click on that terrible link and hear that terrible song from the Miami Vice soundtrack.

Flem said...

I am a little offended that my bff sent you this link before me.

Especially because there IS an app for the droid.

But I guess she is replaceable, I will take you as a backup if you are willing to go back to texting me the names of cool books. Like was the new cassandra clare any good?

samandlysander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
samandlysander said...

Ugh Brandon Flowers.... I love him and he goes and lets me down with something like this. I got the leaked album a couple weeks ago and couldn't even listen to it.

Flem- The new Cassandra Clare (Clockwork Angel) was amazing! At least I was and am in love with it. I guess the main character is in end of City of Glass, I am still trying to figure that one out. Also, Magnus Bane makes an appearance. Anyways it was every bit as good as the mortal instruments series and I really recommend it to you guys!

Jenny ESP said...

Flem--like I said, she was trying to distract me. Try calling her a nincompoop, and she'll find something cool to deflect your negative energy. And to clarify, there WAS an Apple App, but it went away. It will be back up asap. I tweeted about this, remember? That was for you! You're practically the only tweeter I know. Yes, I'll be your backup. I love sloppy seconds.

Sam--"Only the Young" is really quite good tho. Did you listen to it three times as instructed?

As far as the new Cassandra Clara book... I liked it, but not as much as the Mortal Instruments. The dialog was excellent. Hilarious at times. I think the second book has potential to be better than the first, cuz she wrote this interesting cliffhanger thing at the end. But I wasn't feeling the character-connections as much with this one. Loved Will, tho.

samandlysander said...

"Only the Young" was one of the better songs out of the album but not even close to anything he's done with the Killers. It was just alright for me.

Maybe I'm too easy to please when it comes to these kinds of books because I really can't find anything I didn't like about Clockwork Angel. I loved Will and Tessa, there were some great fight scenes, and the automatons were really creepy. That was a good cliffhanger too I seriously can't wait to find out what happens next!

Landee said...

Flem, this was an unfortunate moment of rewarding bad behavior. I apologize. Please do not replace me. But, if you continue to try to sell us all on the Droid I may be taking applications myself.

Grooveshark.com = pure awesomeness.

eekareek said...

Really??? I have a Droid...

Just started the new Cassandra book last night. I am hoping Will can fit in Jace's shoes...

Markie23 said...

Jenny, you have to listen to the "Miami Vice Soundtrack" version FOUR times, while eating BBQ ribs and drinking a Mint Julip on Beale Street in Memphis. Then you'll LOVE it!

Krissy said...

I listened to grooveshark last night whilst canning peaches. It was awesome! I guess you and Landee should argue more often.

Memzy said...

Sweet. Grooveshark. I'm not offended cuz I'm beyond sloppy seconds,...more like floppy fourths.

Memzy said...

I can't get my computer to keep me signed in.

Jana said...

Hey dude- just wanted to tell you I'm so excited- your parentals are in my ward. I was trying to explain to your mom how I knew her daughters...I think she was a little confused/freaked out. I don't really understand it myself. Our relationship is complicated.

Jenny ESP said...

Just don't tell my mom we met on the Internet. She'll think you're a nerd!