Monday, August 23, 2010

The Second Annual Hunger Games Cakes

Welcome to the second annual Hunger Games cake decorating contest!

We have 14 tributes to pick from this year, as it's the Quarter Quell. May these 14 tributes serve as a reminder to you of your treacherous acts against the Capitol, 75 years ago when you weren't alive. This serves you right.

Be sure to enlarge each picture and really get a good look at the intricate details.

Let the games begin, and may the odds be ever in all your favors.

Oh, one more thing. I've placed a poll at the bottom for your voting pleasure, but remember, these FIVE GAMEMAKERS will determine the official winner(s). The poll is just the electoral vote, to see which cake is most popular/see who has the most Facebook friends they can convince to come over and vote for their sub-par cake.

Winners will be announce tomorrow.

Tribute 1. The Catalyst...
"It must be very fragile, if a handful of berries can bring it down."








Tribute 2. Finnick's Eyes, Shiny with Tears...
"I'm Sorry Mags, I Can't Do It."








Tribute 3. Last Year's Head Gamemaker...
"He had an unfortunate sentimental streak."








Tribute #4. Katniss's Tree Revenge
"The nest bursts open like an egg, and a furious swarm of tracker jackers takes to the air."







Tribute 5. Katniss Everdeen's Last Kill
"She's excellent," says Peeta. "She hits every one in the eye."





Tribute 6. The Arena
"This is no place for a girl on fire."







Tribute 7. Blood and Roses
I flinch when he whispers in my ear, "By the way, I know about the kiss."









Tribute 8. The Quarter Quell Arena
"Tick Tock. This is a Clock."








Tribute 9. Seneca Crane
"Then I step away quickly to watch the reaction on the Gamemaker's faces as they read the name on the dummy."







Tribute 10. District 12
"Katniss, there is no district 12."








Tribute 11. Monkeys Attack!
"Fangs bared, hackles raised, claws shooting out like switchblades. I may be unfamiliar with monkeys, but animals in nature don't act like this."








Tribute 12. Beetee's Wire and Katniss's Arrow
"The Chink in the Armor."






Tribute #13. Panem
Def. from Latin: panem et circenses, meaning bread and circuses. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace.








Tribute #14. The Boy with the Bread
"I thought I was something of an expert on hunger, but this is an entirely new kind."











23 comments:

Hot Pants said...

How are there so many votes and zero comments? These cakes are so exquisite! A bakers dream for sure.

Memzy said...

I THINK THAT THEME SHOULD PREVAIL OVER AWESOME CAKE MAKING SKILLZ. JUST MY OPINION.

FINNICK.

KBYE

samandlysander said...

Wow, this is tougher competition than last year. Good luck everyone!

Erin Beck said...

I was all ready to bake my cake my my light bulb burnt out in my oven

Landee said...

*SOME* people have super nerdy friends who have nothing to do but vote.

Thank goodness for the Scholastic peeps!

Flem said...

Wow these cakes are beautiful!! Can I ask if someone made the golden mockingjay or was that purchased? I mean, equally beautiful and all but wow.

And that berry cake. Wow.

Finnick looks like a girl.

StandsMom said...

Uh....wow. Sara....hats off. Nicely played. Flem, I made it, from a blob of white gum paste. It was so much fun :)

Memzy said...

Oh my word don't you people read the book!!!! That MAAAAAGGGGSSSS

Krissy said...

Well done cakemakers! I am extremely impressed.

Carol said...

The genius creativity is blinding me. LOVE all the cakes.

Markie23 said...

::Giving a slow clap and standing ovation for MOTHER OF STAND!!!:: That is one incredibly amazing work of art. Not only is it gorgeous Ann, but you totally captured the essence of The Hunger Games. It's a simple clean design, but with so much symbolism in there. The cake is like both the Capitol, and President Snow himself; rich, lavish, beautiful and sweet smelling on the surface, but rotten and putrid on the inside. That moment when Katniss is close enough to President Snow to realize that his breath smells like blood is one of the creepiest moments in the book. You just nailed it. I'm curious how you made the blood come from the cake - is there really liquid under the surface of the fondant or did you just drizzle some stuff around the arrow after you stuck it in? And that mockingjay - AMAZING! It's so perfect. I just can't believe the skill. You are to cake decorating what Cinna is to fashion designing. You nailed it Stands and if you don't get first place I myself will lead the districts in an all out uprising.

ShelBailey said...

Yeah, what HE said!

Julia Haupt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cristin said...

Um..holy freakin cow. I'm glad I didn't even attempt...again. I have to say ditto to what Markie said. But all of you are GENIUS and totally crafty. I'm totally jealous.

Hot Pants said...

Markie, are you completely ignoring the fact that Stands TOTALLY copied my cake from last year? She just added a rose and some blood. Sheesh you gize! She gets praise and I got uproar. I'm putting on my winners apron from last year and gonna go lick some more frosting off Zac's shoulder.

Markie23 said...

Sorry HP, but I'm giving all inspirational credit to Suzanne Collins.

StandsMom said...

::going back to last year to check.....::

StandsMom said...

Markie, you have highly over-complimented me. In fact everyone's compliments are seriously so so nice.

However, my guts hurt that the Berry cake isn't doing better. Geez you gize!!! It's SO pretty! It's clean and vivid. I may have worked on mine for a whole week, but she pulled that beautiful cake together in 1 day. One. The other shame of the voting process is the Seneca Crane Tribute 3. It looks like a dummy. The name is painted on the way you'd imagine Katniss doing it in a hurry and the rope is awesome. Awesome I tell you!!! My hat goes off to Berry and Last Years Head Gamemaker.

ShelBailey said...

So, when are we supposed to hear????

samandlysander said...

The suspense is killing me! I can't wait to see the results.

That mockingjay was super good. It is really amazing that you carved its features by hand and everything. Good Job!

Everyone did a great job on their cakes actually. The frosting surrounding Zac's cake looks especially delicious! I almost drooled over how good it looked. I'm more of a frosting person than a cake person.

I also can't believe how popular some of you guys are! Seriously 439 friends pulling together on one day of voting. You must be seriously loved Sarah :o)

Those scholastic people must have a lot of pressure on their backs!

eekareek said...

My hat goes off to me. My cake came to me in a dream and the finished results gave me goosebumps. Goosebumps. I had at least four people (no one you guys know) tell me it brought tears to their eyes. If anyone wants my recipe, just email me or look at the back of a Duncan Hines cake mix box.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! ... (speechless)

Aubrilynn said...

Why is a Zac Efron on the Peeta Mellark cake? Like.... Really?