Friday, August 20, 2010

How it all went down...



^^That was Gus's surprise birthday party invite.

Gus has asked begged for a birthday party every year for as far back as I can remember (maybe like 3 years), but for various reasons he has never gotten one. Of course, we've had family parties, but never one of those awesome parties where friends come and shower you with gifts and attention. So as you could imagine, throwing Gus a surprise party was gonna be EPIC. We were giddy with excitement.

I had to do something very difficult to keep the surprise from him. I had to deny his request for a birthday party this year. "Maybe when you turn ten," I boldfaced lied to him, "Cuz then you'll be double digits. Nine is just nine." Then I had to watch his lil' face fall, which was torture, but I knew it would be worth it in the end.

And I could not WAIT to see the look on his face.

Alas, I would not.

The day before his party, he ran into a friend at the neighborhood park, and the friend proceeded to spoil my carefully planned surprise, telling Gus about his surprise party. I guess his friend, like me, could not wait to see the look on Gus's face when he told him that he was going to have his first ever birthday party. But that look was supposed to be for ME for all his friends and family to see together.

I was utterly disappointed. My heart actually ached. I didn't cry, but my eyes may have watered up a bit, and when I blinked, that little bit of water may have trickled out. That was probably my allergies, tho. I totally didn't cry!

So, where to go from here? I learned the surprise was out the door via Cord (Gus had only told Cord that he knew about it), just hours before the party. First, Tony and I decided to act like we didn't know he knew, and coach Cord on how to handle the situation. But as Tony and I listened to Cord bumble his lines from the other room (Gus soooo wasn't buying it), I finally gave up and went in to handle it myself.

"What's this? A party? A surprise party? No, Gus, I already told you. You can't have a party this year. You're friend was probably just playing a trick on you. Sorry." <--all said with a concerned face, lil creases between eyebrows, and my head tilted to the side.

Gus believed me. First his bottom lip turned down, and then it started to quiver, and then his eyes filled with tears, and then he blinked and the tears trickled down his face. He totally cried! Perfect! We were back in business!

Under the guise of trying to make him feel better, I told Gus that since his friend had played such a mean "trick" on him, how about we let him invite some friends to go to Laser Quest with him on Friday. His frown went away, but his eyes were still sad. Good, good. I needed him good and sad if I was gonna get the reaction out of him that I wanted. I knew I wouldn't get to see the "HOLY COW WHAT'S GOING ON COULD THIS BE HAPPENING THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE" face, it was too late for that, but at least I could see a "I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE" face. That'll do, Pig. That'll do.

So, Tony was going to take Gus and Homer (who also had no idea about the party, since we smartly kept it from him too) to the store to get some party invitations for his "fake Laser Quest" party, and run a few more errand while he was at it. I pulled Tony aside before he left and went over the plan with him again. I desperately wanted to salvage this surprise party, I couldn't have anything else go wrong. "Make sure you come through the front door, not the garage door, and make sure Gus opens the door, not you or Homer. I'm gonna video this, and I want to get his face." Tony, dismissing me, "I know, I know, I know."

Tony left, Erin and Scott arrived to help set up, and then the kids started to arrive. We went over the plan with the kids. We practiced our "surprise" on Cord a few times, everyone was ready to go, and then the big moment happened:


I can't take credit for that. Tony orchestrated that entrance. "He knew, he knew, he knew," exactly what to do, and there was no need for me to remind him. Brilliant, no?

Anyhow, after we shoved Homer out of the way, I got Gus on video:



Things didn't go according to plan, yes, but from there on out the party was a smashing success (thanks to mine and Erin's hard core party skills, I must say). It was loud, it was crazy, it was a little chaotic, it was fun. We broke into two teams, and went on a scavenger hunt through the neighborhood. Team Jacob (my team) totally beat Team Edward (Erin's team). We played the Candy bar game (you know which one I'm talking about, right?). We opened presents (srs cash!). We had cake. We walked/ran to the park in the dark and played Missionary Tag. Yeah, it was pretty much the best day of Gus's life. ::patting myself on the back for making his dreams come true::

Happy Birthday Gus!

15 comments:

Mary said...

Loved the surprise! We love you Gus and are so thrilled that 9 years ago you were born into our family!

eekareek said...

It may be my raging hormones but I cried when I watched the videos (yes, both videos). Happy Birthday, GUS!!!!! Glad it was the best day ever for him.

Carr Family said...

I got a little choked up reading about your plan being ruined! You're a good mom Jenny:)

Katie said...

If I were at that party I would have stood right next to the kid who spoiled it. That way, when Gus walked in & I threw my arms up to say surprise, I could have "accidentally" punched him in the face.

Flem said...

My favorite part of the video take II:
"Anthony...?"

And then you decided to just move on with the party.

And I was kind of choked up too because you held your ground and went out of the way to have it be a fun surprise. I probably would have said "okay yeah we are throwing you a party." You have great self-restraint on behalf of your offspring.

And the "epic fail" vid is probably going to make it more memorable for everyone anyway.

ShelBailey said...

So, what is Missionary Tag?

You're such a good mom, btw.

ManicMandee said...

So funny. Glad for the laugh of it you had the "epic fail". Anthony doing that is so typical Steve too. Happy birthday Gus!

Erin Beck said...

Probably the best birthday party I ever have been to. Way better than anything I ever did not get

Jana said...

Well at least now you don't ever have to throw Homer a surprise bday party cuz his reaction is forever on video!

Memzy said...

Ouch! Ouch! My side hurts! Make the laughing stop!!

SUCH a good mom. And where does that "epic fail" phrase come from? Cuz we say it at our house all the time and I don't know the reference.

Memzy said...

Happy Birthday to Hom...uh...GUS!!!

Hot Pants said...

Awwww, I bet that was the best day of little Homer's life.

Michelle said...

I'm so happy for Gus!! Way to fake out the surprise :-)

Emily said...

That's awesome! I might steal this idea for one of my more neglected children. Brilliant.

Anna B said...

Best post ever...I laughed I cried. My biys keep asking when we are going to go see "those one cousins in Las Vegas".

P.S. I so wish I had time to do your cake contest lots of fun.