Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Not Hogwarts

Cord went to middle school yesterday. Ugh.

Anyway, way back when, in some ancient blog post, I mentioned that Cord's middle school was voting on whether or not to implement school uniforms. Well, I have good news and bad news. The good new is that the vote passed, and the kids have to wear uniforms. The bad news is that the uniforms look nothing like the Hogwarts uniforms. No sweater vest and tie. No formal dress robes for test day. No Quidditch-type clothes for PE. Just polo shirts in a few select colors, paired with jeans or khakis.

Here's Cord and his BFF (and his little sister) on their first day of school:



This would have been way cuter:



However, when I picked up Cord from school, I saw the dress code in full force and was very pleased with the uniformity of all those kids. Not because I don't believe in individual expression blah blah blah, but because middle schoolers have no idea how to dress in a manner that is pleasing to the eye. Leave it to them, and they'd squeeze into a pair of skinny jeans, and pair it with some giant puffy sneakers and a clingy T that emphasizes their muffin top. Skinny jeans are specifically banned at this middle school. The fashion-forward school administrators know that 90% of those kids can't pull off the skinny jeans, so they threw that in there. Brilliant, eh?

Gus started third grade. This is his first year going to school without Cord, which made me nervous for him, but he seemed comfortable on his own. Homer starts pre-school next week. He's so annoyed that his brothers get to go now and he has to wait, and he's hanging on my arm right now as I type this, begging to go to school, and I'm so annoyed too.

I took about five pictures of Gus and Homer before school that look like this:



Before I finally got one with their eyes open:



Homer is saying, "I wanna go to skoo mom!" Hear hear, Homer. Hear hear.

13 comments:

Erin Beck said...

Im all for no skinny jeans, not only are they unpleasing to the muffin top but the crack as well. Maddie kept complaining that she looked "groovy" but I reasured her that everyone else does too.

Emily said...

I wish the schools around here did uniforms. That would really make my life SO much easier!

Middle School? Really?

Memzy said...

Um I LOVE the idea of uniforms. But i agree with you....Hogwarts style is really the only way to go.

eekareek said...

I like that Cord is making a Ron Weasley kinda face.

amanda said...

Fess up, did they truly say no skinny jeans?

Krissy said...

I was not ready for school to start until yesterday. Something about dragging all 4 kids around to run errands with me did it for me. Come Monday I think I will be one happy camper.

Jenny ESP said...

It's true. No skinny jeans. I saw tons of girls wearing them today, but the school sent home a letter saying they would give the kids some slack the first week, but after that the dress code will be strictly enforced. For their own good.

Carol said...

LOVE the uniforms but I must say, even with uniforms---your boys are the cutest. Period.

Hot Pants said...

Me in skinny jeans is my worst fear. I think I will make up my own dress code for my kids. Lots of dress robes for sure.

Landee said...

Why are your kids wearing JEANS??? My phone told me it was 100 degrees there today.

On another, slightly less judgy note, I love the uniforms. I just don't know if I would like them. My kids wear a t-shirt too many times and I'm like "Ugh, I'm so sick of this freaking shirt!" I dunno... I see the perks tho.

PS I'm sure if Cord wore dress robes on test day he wouldn't get sent home. But he might get beaten up. Just a thought.

Jenny ESP said...

L, they wanted to wear their new jeans, that's why. The weather is really no biggie to us. Most of the kids at school were wearing jeans, not shorts. We are used to our weather, and 100 degrees doesn't feel as hot to us as it does to you. I wore jeans today too. Sat at a park for an hour in them. It's like when the sun peeks through the low hanging clouds in Denver for a few minutes and it breaks 70 degrees, and all the Coloradans run to their garage and take down their dusty storage bin full of shorts and throw on a matching pair of Crocs, cuz they think it's "shorts weather." Brrr.

Crysty said...

I love the uniform idea. And it's cool that they can wear jeans, and you don't have to buy SO many pairs of Khakis! Cute pics, cute kids. I remember wearing my new clothes to school on the first day...like courderoys and a sweater, even though it was August! LOL.

Mary said...

Uniforms or not, those are some mighty fine looking boys!