Sunday, August 9, 2009

Home

We're back from our trip to AZ. We actually got back last week, but I've barely been able to function over the last few days, as I came down with a srs case of the "baby blues", without even birthing a baby. I hit rock bottom on Friday night, when I laid on the couch in my office and watched back-to-back episodes of The Golden Girls because I couldn't find the remote. But I'm good now.

In AZ, we stayed at that resort from the movie Dirty Dancing. Not technically the same resort, but very similar. The Arizona Biltmore. It was built in the 1920s, so it has a cool old-school vibe, but with modern conveniences and brand new sheets and stuff.

They have an itinerary of all-inclusive activities for guests to do each day, including salsa (aka dirty) dancing in the evenings with a Patrick Swayze-type dance instructor. How exciting to know that somewhere at our resort, other guests were salsa dancing with a Patrick Swayze-type, while I was in my room watching "Dating in the Dark".

Our favorite activity was S'mores Night. They made a big bonfire, gave us each our own roasting stick, and had all the fixin's (marshmallows, graham crackers, fancy chocolates on ice) set out on these snazzy silver serving trays. And to wash it all down, they had a never-ending supply of iced chocolate milk, apple cider, or a refreshing glass of ice water, you gize! It lasted all night, and we kept going back for more, even when our stomachs ached, cuz it was free and I have a soft spot for free stuff.

They have pools all over the resort, but the main pool is neato. It has a 1920's Hollywood-glam feel to it, with private cabanas lining the sides. It also has this super massive water slide, that the boys never got tired of. At night, you can sit in an inner tube at the pool and watch a "Dive-In" movie. The free-ness of it all made my heart melt.

I am in love with the place. It's a tradition, two years running, that we stay there every August. And that we stay in the same room with the same view...



Oh yeah, we also saw the Grand Canyon...





It was muy grande, indeed!

16 comments:

Memzy said...

Muy. Grande.

Golden girls always makes me forget my troubles. I personally think you had PVD (post vacation depression). It's very real.

Carol said...

Salsa dancing? I can't believe you and Anthony passed up Salsa dancing. Srsly?

Krissy said...

That place sounds magical. Glad you had a good time. And I am sorry you had to watch back to back episodes of the Golden Girls.

Flem said...

I have three shows that I probably would like but as a rule refuse to watch:

-Married With Children
-Golden Girls
-Bosom Buddies

I feel weird just watching them.

The Grand Canyon tho, that sounds awesome. Too bad you had such a good time you couldn't get in home for me to visit you.

Too bad.

Warriorcats said...

grand caynon.....wow....so amazing....and wuts golden girls? it sounds cool (kind of).

Emily said...

Ok, next year we are totally going to tag along!! Sounds so fun!

ManicMandee said...

You totally should have taken the dancing lessons. Big mistake.

But the place did sound pretty fun regardless.

Erin Beck said...

Nobody and I mean nobody puts baby in the corner

Erin Beck said...

I always though Aunt Liz looked like Blanch

eekareek said...

LOL Erin, I don't see it.

Golden Girls is so depressing. You were probably fine until you heard the words "Thank you for being a friend..." and it was all down hill from there. Maybe you were depressed because you had the time of your life and you owe it all to Patrick Swayze.

Cristin said...

I use to wish I was Baby....

Cristin said...

Oh, glad you had a good time and sorry about PAB= Post Arizona Blues. That's a bummer.

Mary said...

Free sounds a bit misleading as that hotel charges twice as much as any other because they give you all of the s'mores you can eat! It's hard to get much for free these days.

Maddie said...

Um no you don't Cristin, baby's nose isn't so babyish

Jenny ESP said...

You're quite wrong, Mary. It was only $80 a night. I would say that's below your average hotel price. If it was expensive, it wouldn't not be my BHF.(<--best hotel forever)

ShelBailey said...

You can get killer deals on the resorts in Phx in the summer. Most people don't wanna go to Phoenix in August. I can't imagine why.

Sounds fun, but we don't do Phoenix between March and November, lol. I guess if I lived there and was already hot, it would be fun to check out one of the resorts.