Monday, July 6, 2009

Picking up where I left off...

I have so many posts to catch up on, it's a little overwhelming. I never finished posting about our Washington trip, and then we had a bunch of stuff happen in town that I wanted to blog about, and then we went up to Boise for a few days (just got home) so I wanted to blog about that, too. I decided to go back and do it all in order, so I'm going to try to finish up our Washington trip in two posts so we can all move on with our lives and put the past behind us.

We packed a lot into our second day in DC. After we visited the White House, we went to the National Museum of American History (which was my favorite of all the Smithsonians)...


...then the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (Homer loved this place almost as much as Tony)...


...and then the Holocaust Museum...


At the National Museum of American History, we saw C3PO...


And this sweeet Ninja Turtle...


But our favorite thing in the museum was "The Star-Spangeled Banner." Aunt Visor had texted me about it, said it was her favorite thing in DC, and I would have to agree. There was something emotionally stirring about that tattered old flag. We weren't allowed to take pictures of it, so all I could do was grab a post card to remember it. The display we walked through leading up to the viewing of the flag, told the story of Frances Scott Key writing the words that would become our national anthem, after he saw the flag still standing at the top of Fort McHenry after a long night of British bombardment. Very emotional. We went back to see it again on the last day of our trip. We also went through the "freedom" exhibit twice, which chronicled America at war. Yes, that was the best Smithsonian museum, I think.

At the Bureau of Engraving in Printing, we saw one MILLion dollars. That was emotional for different reasons.

Then came the Holocaust museum, which was emotional for even differenter reasons. I'm glad I went, but I don't know if I could do it again. Tony took Gus and Homer through the kid's part, "Daniel's Story," while Cord and I walked through the main display. Very sad. No pictures allowed

The museum was closed for half the day due to this...

...so when it opened, there was a line of tourists waiting to get in. Glad I got my tickets in advance.

The subway ride back to our hotel...






The next day was Cord's birthday, so he got to plan the day. First was the National Zoo. It poured in the morning, which was good because then I could have some photo shop fun with our bright umbrellas.





We spent quite a bit of time with this hippo. She acted like a dog. Look at her tongue hanging out...


One good thing about the zoo was that we could rent a stroller and give Homer a break from all the walking.


This is at the aquarium inside the zoo.


Homer kept getting freaked out in there, and tony kept making him pose by everything that scared him. He wouldn't take his eye off this crab.

Scary skelleton. So sad...


I love this picture. I've never seen an arm that long. It belongs at the Smithsonian.


The clouds completely dissapeared by noon and it was a nice hot day after that.



When we were done with the zoo, we took the subway over to the Museum of Natural History.






This insect zoo was inside the museum.


Homer was freaked out by this beehive...


Below is a picture of us out on the mall, in front of the Smithsonian Castle. See the souvenir in Homer's hand? That's the souvenir I mentioned earlier, that saved us a few times during our trip. We bought it for Homer at the Natural History museum on the third day (I was a day off, before). He called it Rexy (pronounced Wex-see) and took it everywhere we went after that. He never tired of it. If we ever had any down-time (waiting for something, or looking at something Homer didn't understand), Cord would make Rexy talk in this funny dinosaur voice (like a puppet show) and Homer would laugh until he was out of breath. We'd ask Rexy questions about the American history we were learning, and Rexy would give some funny answer. It never got old. Everybody loved Rexy. Lifesaver.



At the end of the day, we took Cord out to Fudruckers for his birthday dinner, and had a giant cinnamon roll for a cake.


K, that's it for now. One more Washington DC post will wrap it all up.

8 comments:

Memzy said...

Aunt visor texted me when she texted you that text!

I continue to br astounded at your families endurance for so much in one day!

Flem said...

What a great post for this time of year. D.C. really does remind you about what a great country this is, even if we do have our little problemillas.

Markie23 said...

I want to go to there

Krissy said...

I love how Cord is so nonchalantly doing his robot pose in front of
C3PO. Looks like a lot of fun packed in to a couple of days!

ManicMandee said...

Awesome trip! And your photos withe umbrellas...so artsy.
We are gonna have to make that trip with our family. It looks so great.

Jana said...

I never knew you were a genius on Photoshop. Looks like such a fun trip! I had a blast doing real life chat with you the other day my little internet friend.

Mary said...

I need a better picture of "Rexy" cause I couldn't tell what "Rexy" was. The pictures and commentary are great and it makes me want to go back again.

Carol said...

What great photos!!!! My favorite is the one of your boys in front of the Smithsonian Castle. I actually had to add it to my screensaver album. They are now officially relatives. It looks like you really maximized your experience every day. Kudos. It is a great place to visit on many levels and I'm sure your boys won't forget it.