Sunday, July 12, 2009

Night

I go out on my balcony at night to get warmed up sometimes. Our house is freezing (on account of Tony), but when I step out on the balcony, I'm instantly wrapped in a warm blanket of dry desert air. I like to sit out there and read and listen to the buzzing of our AC unit. The only thing is, I wish I had a small table for my Diet Coke. I can't set it on the ground because buggies might crawl inside it while I'm distracted by my book, so I end up holding it the whole time. If I had a small table, I could keep an eye on my Diet Coke with my peripheral vision. I saw a glass one at Walmart for $15. I think I'm going to go back and get it.

Tony and I went running around midnight last night. (That warm-desert-air-blanket does not feel so good when you're running. Too bad it doesn't come off.) We sort of run in the gutter, or very close to it, and we kept crossing paths with the neighborhood cockroaches. They were freaked out by our giant (in proportion to them) running shoes and would scurry out of the way as we'd pass. It was like the parting of the red sea. Fascinating to watch. This one family of cockroaches saw us coming and tried to scurry off but they turned the same direction we were running and ended up running beside us for quite a ways before they finally veered off to the side. I imagine their little hearts were pounding in terror, but it made me smile to run beside those cockroaches.

8 comments:

Memzy said...

Smile and cockroaches should never be put in the same sentence. Does it cool down enough by midnight for that running?

Markie23 said...

Love the new banner! You're a Photoshop genius, yes you are!

Eventually the bloomin' cockroachers will become acclimated to your presence and just continue to jog along with you until their tiny legs can't run any more.

Jana said...

WOAH!! Sweet new blog header! Cockroaches are in my top 5 fear list. They're so yucky.

Mary said...

You really have a knack with the photo shopping. Wish you could teach me some of that. Do any of those little cockroaches enter your residence? Hope not.

eekareek said...

Nasty.

amanda said...

Poetic post. Does it even get cool enough at midnight to run there?

Krissy said...

You made that post sound so cozy and peaceful...i didn't even mind the cockroaches.

Your new banner is AWESOME!!

Carol said...

Love, love, love the new header. You are genius. BTW----fresh home-made caramels are awaiting your arrival . . . .yes, they are. Cockroaches? Can't even discuss them.