Friday, July 10, 2009

Arrow of Light & Idaho

Here are some pictures from Cord's cub scout Arrow of Light ceremony, which was at the end of June.

(Tony is the assistant cub master)



Cord earned all 20 WeBeLos activity pins, so he not only got his WeBeLos badge and his Arrow of Light, but he also got his compass points emblem and all three compass points. I'm sure all you cub scouters out there are thoroughly impressed. He put in a lot of work, but he loved every minute of it.

His WeBeLos' leaders are in the picture below (the husband and wife on opposite ends). They went above and beyond. Loved them. Also take a look at the flip flops on Cord's feet, because they are mine. He borrowed them without even asking.


He's officially a boy scout now, no more cub scouts. It's kind of sad for me, because I've been the wolf den leader (thus, my shapeless yellow shirt) since before Cord was old enough for scouts, so it feels like he's leaving me behind.

Boohoo sniff.

Anyway, we went up to Idaho for the 4th of July. It's like a crazy whirlwind whenever we go up to Idaho because both sides of our families live there, along with high school friends (on account of both Tony and I graduating from the same high school), and we never plan on enough time. So I wanna say thanks to the Idaho Esplins and Morgans for cutting us some slack and joining forces (which they often do), so we could spend the 4th of July with both sides (again). Then I wanna say sorry to the friends we didn't get a chance to see (Crysty!), which is always a bummer since we live so far away. The good news is, we're going back around August 20th for the Ella/Gus baptism extravaganza, so we hope to get a second chance to see everyone.

You know how we took a brazilian photos on that Vacay-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named? Well, rest easy, because we have almost no pictures of our trip to Idaho. We forgot our camera, so we only have whatever random shots I got with my iPhone. Too bad, because we got to spend a few days in the downtown Boise area this time, and it was loverly. I haven't visited the Boise Greenbelt in a really long time (I wanna say seven or eight years), so it was nice to see it again. Tony and I lived down there for the first four years of our marriage, so I was flooded with memories, like the corners of my mind, misty water-colored memories, of the way we were.

I also got to see these gize while I was in town...

(That's my friend Krissy on the right and my "Internet" friend Jana on the left. Internet friends are the hottest trend right now. If you don't have one, you're basically a nerd.)

This picture below is a bad angle for me. I was so worried about keeping my arm out of the shot that I forgot about my angles. You can see the miss-placed worry in my eyes if you look closely.


We had a great 4th of July. Everyone gathered at Ann Morrison park to see the fireworks. Me, Amy, and Erin (and families) spent most of the day down there, saving a big place for the bigger group that was to come, hanging out, etc. The kids loved it. Me too. It was fun.

And I also got to see these gize, who met up with us down there...

(That's my friend Amanda, her daughter Bella, and my friend Heather. I ruined this picture with my striped shirt. No amount of sucking in will off-set those vertical stripes.)

Boise put on a heck of a firework show. It was one of the best I've ever seen. Abrupt ending.

10 comments:

Markie23 said...

Question... What's with the ritualistic forehead marking ceremony? And why are there only 3 compass points? I'm curious which of N S W and E got dropped. In Boy Scouts do they get a new direction?
I wasn't really into the whole scouting thing when I was a youth... Fun activities yeah, but earning badges and compass points, not so much.

Memzy said...

Hollah arrow of light!! Brains will get his in august. Tho he hasn't been quite as enthused as cord. Maybe some of that excitement for scouts will rub off on brains next week when we Californicate you.

Misplaced worry.

Abrubt ending.

Krissy said...

I had a blast! Let's do it again in August.

Mary said...

Where are the pictures of my family? Just kidding!!!!!!

Erin Beck said...

Im so glad everyone got to see me!

Jenny ESP said...

Mom, I am your family.

Jana said...

If we do in fact do it again in August--maybe I will graduate from internet to friend to real-life friend.

Jana said...

^delete the first "to"

Hot Pants said...

Oooh, cat fight with mom!

ManicMandee said...

Your new blog header is super super cool.

And congrats to Cord on his awards. I can appreciate that! And I can appreciate even more that you have been a den leader that long. That is the one calling I really really never want. You are such a good sport!