Monday, June 29, 2009

Vacay Recap

I'm already missing Washington DC. It was not one of those relaxing-type vacays. We did a lot of walking, cramming as much as we could into our week, but it was way fun. I'm very glad I took the time to make up an itinerary before we left (which I normally wouldn't do), and get tickets to everything in advance. We knew exactly where we were going each day, and how we were going to get there, and no time was ever wasted. I did leave some wiggle room (option A, B, or C in the evening or morning) but we always had at least two confirmed plans each day.

Itinerary. If you don't have one, get one.

Anyhow, here's a recap with some of my favorite pics. We'll see if I can do this in one post...

The first day, we went to Arlington Cemetery and George Washington's home (Mount Vernon). Both places were huge, lots of walking.





The picture below is from Arlington Cemetery, near the tomb of the unknown solider. Poor Homer is already exhausted at this point and hadn't a clue why we had traveled all this way to see rows and rows of white rectangles, which seemed so tragic and pretty to the rest of us.



Did I mention that we didn't bring a stroller to DC? He had to walk along with us the whole time. His little legs had to take two or three steps to match one of ours, and sometimes he would even have to break into a jog to keep up with us. Towards the end of each day, he would say something like, "Mom, I can't walk anymore. I free years owed." Then we'd pick him up, but we would only have to hold him for a few minutes before he was ready to walk again. I was impressed.

However, halfway through our first morning in DC, Homer staged a silent sit-in on the floor of our tram...


At this point, I was worried that he would find the whole trip boring and exhausting, but he perked up by the afternoon and seemed to enjoy the rest of our time in DC. We were asking a lot of this little boy, and he exceeded our expectations. Since he didn't understand most of what we were seeing, I think the funnest part for him was trying to keep up with his brothers. And there was one souvenir that we bought on the second day that turned out to be a lifesaver. This souvenir makes an appearance in many of our pictures from that point on--I'll point it out to you.

Everybody LOVED Mount Vernon, though. There was much more to see and explore, and little boys eat stuff like that for breakfast. Cord even earned a cool boy scout badge for taking the historic trail and learning about GW's life (did you know GW was a boy scout?). I think we all wished we could have spent more time there. It was one of our favorite parts of the trip.

Here we are, overlooking the Potomac river at Mount Vernon...


George Washington's tomb...


I have to say, the people in Washington DC (tourists and natives) were very friendly. People were always offering to take our picture, so we managed to get some family shots. Keep in mind, these people weren't professional phogers for anything. Beggars can't be choosers.





This is Mrs. Washington, and she did not break character. She had no clue where Las Vegas was, and the boys found this hilarious. She also taught them how to execute a perfect gentleman's bow. I don't know who was cuter, her teaching them to bow, or them taking her instruction so serious. I wish I would have gotten it on video.


After Mount Vernon, we went back to Arlington Cemetery, as we had unfinished business...



...in the form of climbing a ginormous hill...



...all to see General Lee's home, which is at the highest point in Arlington Cemetery. Here's the view...


(hard to capture with our camera, but it was on a very steep hill)



I wanted to get a picture of Tony with the boys from this same spot, but he was like, "nah, lets get a picture of me and the boys by this old barrel," and the old barrel was actually just a trash can, but I was like "whtvr" and just took it. Climbed all the way to the top of that ginormous hill to pose next to a trash can.


Waiting for the train back to our hotel...


Smile if you heart public transportation...


The first of many dinners at the Subway next to our hotel.


K, I guess I can't do this all in one post. I'll have to break it up. Tomorrow, our family pictures by the White House, which were my fave pictures of the trip. Hilariously bad.

7 comments:

Markie23 said...

Was his souvenir the little back pack?

Jenny ESP said...

No, we've had that tiny back pack since Cord was about three. Homer wears it everywhere, even when he's at home. I forgot to mention that we also used Homer as a pack mule. We fit a lot of stuff in that little back pack of his.

Did you notice your tiny mustache picture on my sidebar? Your quick look has turned into a long perusal.

Markie23 said...

That's me - Captain Markie.
So, I'm still wondering... what was the souvenir?

Landee said...

What a pleasant surprise! I was thinking your hourly/minutely pics from the iPhone were going to be it.

Tony is on to something there... that garbage can pic blows your "amazing view of DC behind you" pic outta the water.

Mary said...

I'm loving the tour and can hardly wait until we get the rest of it.

Hot Pants said...

I think Homer's souvenir was an imaginary friend. I'm jealous. Not of his imaginary friend, but of your trip. Looks like the site of the next girls trip.

Memzy said...

I am sooooo glad those iphone updates weren't the only thing. This is getting GOOD. Pleasekthanks hurry with all the rest!!

And Homer is killing me with his "trooper"ness. I'm guessing my kids would not have been so great about all the walking. Just a guess.