Friday, May 22, 2009

This kid...

...owns the stage.



We went to see Cord's play last night, The Bold Buccaneers. I knew he had it in him, to completely command a stage like that, but I was still a bit amazed. Maybe because I was so incredibly shy at his age. When I was 12, I was in a roadshow play and I had one line: "Very funny gnarly dude." (<--said like a valley girl.) I was shaking in my lacy high-top boots, my side-ponytail quivering. I was so nervous, I could barely eek-out my one line.

Cord, however, ad-libbed in about a dozen extra lines for himself.

At one point in the play, another kid pretended to spit on the deck near Cord's feet, and Cord leaped back and yelled, "C'mon! Those are me new shoes!" When it was over, I said to Cord, "Funny that you had a line in there about new shoes, since you ARE wearing new shoes." (we had literally stopped by a shoe store on the way to the play and bought him a new pair). Cord goes, "Oh, I wasn't supposed to say that." And I asked, "What were you supposed to say?" And he goes, "Nothing." He then preceded to tell us all the lines he added in for himself. Tony and I could not stop laughing. Luckily, his drama teacher seems to love him, and was very enthusiastic about his performance, ad-libs and all.

We didn't take video, we just ordered the DVD instead and we won't get it for a few weeks, so I put together a video montage of the pictures Tony took.

video

(1:53 is right when he said that line about his new shoes)


16 comments:

Carol said...

Awesome photos. Can't wait for the DVD clips. Some kids are just naturals at acting. I'm sure you're waaaaaayy proud of him.

Krissy said...

A star in the making! Way to go Cord!

Markie23 said...

That was VERY entertaining. Nice soundtrack and editing. I'm thinking your production was better than the original. Aaaarrrggghhhh.

Annie said...

You got some great pics. Who needs a DVD? Did he play the flute? j/k

Memzy said...

Soooooo jealous of your drama kid!!!

Memzy said...

Will you post clips when you get the DVD?

Warriorcats said...

SWEET! i bet i wouldnt be half as good as he is. im really shy and when i get nervous of meeting someone or something like that i feel like im going to have a heart attack im serious.

Landee said...

Hilarious photo montage! I can tell he has an amazing stage presence. He looks so comfortable up there. He took that role and made it his own. That was the opposite of indulgent nonsense. Best performance of the night!

Amanda said...

Wow! I'm so jealous too. Your kid is freakin awesome!

Hot Pants said...

I can totally picture Cord on stage. I can even hear him in my picturings! And I can't wait for the DVD!

Mary said...

I tried to make a comment a couple of days ago and couldn't get it to go thru; so here I am trying again just to let you know how proud I am of my darling grandson. Sure wish I could have seen it in person, but your pix montage helped give me an idea of his great talent and SELF CONFICDENCE! Love that cute little guy!

Emily said...

Cord is a stud! I can't believe how brave he is. You've got a major star on your hands.

michelle said...

Love it!!! Way to go Cord!!! What an amazing and talented nephew I have :) I'm so proud of him! Wish I could have been there for the live performance...Hope he will remember all of us when he is famous.

ManicMandee said...

That is so cute! I didn't realize you were shy when you were 12. Whenever we were together it was an entirely different Jenny I guess :)

Katie said...

I will never forget his "trapped in a box" performance. He is really talented. Send that boy off to Hollywood. You could be his manager and make a ton of money off him. I cannot foresee anything that could possibly go wrong with that scenario.

TimW8 said...

Back to your roots with another COOL video! Thanks!