Monday, May 11, 2009

Circle of Life

I hope all you mothers out there had a Happy Mother's Day, especially my own special mother, Mrs. Mary Morgan.



Love you mom!

I have mixed feelings about mother's day. I always have an impossibly high expectation of how my day should go: lounging around the house in my pajamas, reading, not lifting a finger, being waited on hand and foot, receiving praise throughout the day for being such a wonderful mother, the house completely spotless at the end of the day...

Yeah, I set myself up for disappointment because that never happens. (If your mother's days are like that, don't tell me.)

It seems that Tony usually has to work on mother's day--I can only remember having two, maybe three, mother's days together. I try to coax my kids into taking care of everything for me, and they are certainly willing, but there is only so much they can do.

My consolation is that Tony and the kids show me lots of appreciation throughout the year, and I even get the occasional "day off" from time to time.

As far as gifts go, I don't expect anything beyond a handmade sculpture or an "ode to mother" poem or a coupon book. I would rather save the money.

The other day I was cleaning out my office, and I found an old coupon book that Tony made for me many many years ago when we were desperately broke. There was a coupon in there for him to make dinner, one for him to do the dishes, and one for him to vacuum the house. I immediately tore those three out, ran downstairs, and cashed them in. You should have seen the "are you serious" look on his face. He was like "I think those are expired" and I was like "there's no expiration date on them." And then he goes "those can't all be used on the same day" and I go "it doesn't say that on the coupon."

I think he'll think twice before making me another coupon book.

Oh, funny story. One year, Tony gave me a mother's day card with a twenty dollar bill inside. It's unusual for us to have cash on hand, so I asked, "Did you get this twenty from my wallet?" and he said, "yes," with a shrug. And I was like, "OK. I'll just go put this back." I was annoyed at the time, but I also wanted to ruffle his hair and give him an ice cream. I mean, that was my grocery money.

Anyway, this mother's day was nice. Not perfect because Tony was gone, but it was nice. The kids did pretty well on their own. Tony went all out in the gift department. He got me me tickets to see...



After getting over the guilt of having that much money spent on a mother's day gift, I got really excited about it. I can't wait to see it!

It was also my sister Erin's birthday, so I took her to see Star Trek (she's a total Treky). She wants to see Land of the Lost next!



Chakka no like this blog.



10 comments:

Cristin said...

I don't have high expectations...maybe because LM one year said Happy Mothers Day then ignored me all day until is was dinner time then asked me what I was making... He's still making up for that year.

I saw Star Trek last night!!! I couldn't believe how man nerdy treky moms were out there...somewhat comforting.

Markie23 said...

I was a miserable failure in making it a nice mother's day for C. I blame my chromosomes.

Krissy said...

The Lion King...how exciting! That totally makes up for the twenty dollars he regifted you!

Memzy said...

It's good to see you being realistic about the whole thing. Glad it was a good one! When is the Lion King? ooooooh broadway. ::jazz hands::

Memzy said...

ps. no pics of your kids "gifts"?

ManicMandee said...

Your mothers days sound somewhat like mine. It's not my favorite holiday, but it's not terrible either.

You scored with those tickets though! Lucky you.

Great job on your Easter Island.
I'm glad I'm not in Scouts. I don't think I'd enjoy that calling that much.

Hot Pants said...

I'd love a coupon book right now! And a companion to go see Star Trek with. I asked Dwight, he said yes, then came back a few minutes later to tell me he should probably go with his friends instead. I told him I wouldn't dress up this time too.

I miss Chakka's blog....

Erin Beck said...

Erin like chakka blog

Katie said...

If I was your kid, I would do it right. Moms always know how to do everything right because we do it all. They are lost without us. I am cool with just skipping over it actually. And fathers day. They should just cancel each other out.

Erin is looking skinny bones!!

Annie said...

You're going to like the Lion King. I thought it was great but I am a huge musical nerd.