Friday, May 15, 2009

Baseboards Were Buggin

I was tired of looking at my dirty, scuffed up baseboards, so I made a deal with Tony: if he would go get primer and paint, I would touch up all the baseboards real quick.

Before (and this was not the most offending area):



After:



They were really dusty and dirty, so I had to wash them before I could prime them, and I had to prime them before I could paint them. That's a three step process, in case you lost count. I had planned to do all the baseboards in our whole entire house, but I think I either underestimated the project or overestimated my brilliance. I only ended up getting through the worst areas of the downstairs before I finally stopped... seven hours later.

Yes, I spent seven hours doing this, as if I had nothing better to do, and we all know that isn't true.

Anyway, I was REALLY achy by the time I finished. Apparently, I can't hunch over and crawl along the floor for seven hours without experiencing a little soreness afterward, despite my young age. I took four Advil, but I was still really achy and sore. Especially my left hand, for some reason. Then I realized that my hand looked like this:



What the...? Why is my hand all swollen up like this? Diagnosis please.

20 comments:

Markie23 said...

work allergy?

Memzy said...

Oh boy. Um. Ewe. Wow. Does it hurt? Uuh.

I got nothin.

ManicMandee said...

Tumor?

I hate painting trim and wood or baseboards! I would rather paint a room. But you did a great job.

Cristin said...

well if it's any consolation, they look great! Ummm but no idea about your deformed hand.

Warriorcats said...

ouchies. idk about what happened to your hand...but the baseboards look great!

Mary said...

Poor baby! Come home to your mommy and I will take care of you!

Emily said...

Yikes! At least you have pretty baseboards to show for it, right?

Erin Beck said...

I think you left something out of your "3" step process that you aren't sharing??

Krissy said...

Holy crap! Put one of your jean bags in the freezer and use it as an ice pack.

Erin Beck said...

That looks like the same reaction you had when you were messing around with those balls...remember?.... At Santa Fe bowling ally? Did you go bowling?

eekareek said...

Ha ha. That is disgusting. I LOVE IT! Your pointer finger looks dislocated and extra small. Maybe it was a birth defect? Has it always looks like that? Can I get a before picture?

Vegas Family said...

I think you have what those of us in the construction industry refer to as, Painters Hand.

Hot Pants said...

I think you should pop it. Just poke a whole in it and stick a straw in to let it drain. Or a pen shaft. I saw them do it once on ER.

Landee said...

Oh my gosh. Did you accidentally hit your hand with a fugly stick? Thank goodness you are already married. You would never land a man with that...er....thing.

Try raising it above your heart.

Your baseboards look amazing. Well worth the "hand thing".... unless it affects your texting and then we have a problem.

Jenny B. said...

ewwww that sucks
its all that hard work you have done.
i think you should be waited on.
after all women work hard and deserve to be pampered

Annie said...

I guess you coming over to my house and doing my baseboards is totally out of the question now.

Carol said...

Vegas Fam is totally right. Painter hand. It's real. Ice--above the heart--rest it--do nothing for 3 days. That's my DX. My son is a doctor, I know these things.

Flem said...

I think a tip for next time is to do sections at a time. Like set the time for an hour and then do the next phase for an hour only tomorrow.

I am assuming Painter's Hand is a real thing since two people said it was. If it were anyone else I would link some info but I am betting money that you already researched it yourself.

The baseboards look waaay good though so it was worth it.

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh? What's up with your hand? Funny you blogged about this because I have a friend coming to town in two weeks and I am planning on doing the same thing. But I hadn't figured in the second step. Do I really need to prime after I wash? I mean, can't I just paint and be done with it?

Katie said...

Gross!! I hope the swelling went down by now. I think this means that you are off the hook for any further baseboard needs.