Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Albion 50

Here are my pictures from our family "thing" last week up in Albion, ID.

I have to say, you must go to there. Albion is super awesome/creepy. We stayed at this old abandoned college campus, a la Scooby-Doo. One dorm was remodeled very nicely, and that's where we slept and ate and played games and such. The surrounding buildings were un-remodeled, and Creepsville Kentucky.

We rented these banana bikes for a day and rode them all over the extensive campus grounds. Here's me...



Gus...



And lil Homer tore it up...



The lil ones spent most of their time playing on this "beach," as they called it...



This was the biggest of the abandoned buildings. Life After People, indeed.



The building had been taken over by chickens and roosters and turkeys and such. That's Brigg (Annie's oldest son) being attacked by the leader in the background. I love how the chicken's wing is up in karate chop mode...



OK, so they let us go into one of the abandoned buildings, even tho it was clearly unsafe. It had been the old performing arts theater. The windows were all boarded up, so it was very dark. Up on the stage, we found these creepy legs, you gize...



(Sorry, no flash). I think we were all fascinated by them. "Did you see the legs? You must go see the legs on the stage."

Here's Katie, standing inappropriately behind the legs (per my request)...



The next day, they opened up the campus history museum for us to tour. The place was blanketed in dead fly carcasses. Loved it. Also, we got to see more creepy dummies, which was the icing on the cake, baby. Icing...



"Come hither, child"

Markie begged me to take his picture with the dummy...



(Eva wanted a picture with a dummy too, so it worked out perf!)

And just look at this dapper gentleman...



He reminds me of Mathew Cuthbert in his Sunday best, except his mustache is a bit too low.

Nerdy apothecary stuff...



And a creepy chair...



Cristin had to leave right after we toured the museum...



Cristin and kids preparing to leave (don't worry, she came right back)...



Here are all the cousins (Sam filling in for Megan).
Katie, Sara, Manic Mandy, Annie, Amy, Cristin, me, Megan (er...)



Sam, Shel, and Meg, saddening us with their early departure...



So, Tuesday night turned out to be the funnest! I wish Annie and MM could have stayed a few more hours, they just barely missed the fun. But we did get Cristin back, unexpectedly (due to her car accident, which brought her back to Albion an extra night). I'm sure she was pleased.

We all wanted to watch American Idol Tuesday night, so Amy called up the local bar and asked if we could watch it on their TV. They were supposed to be closed for the night, but decided to keep it open an extra hour, just for us. Quite exciting. A bar, you gize!!! But in deference to my mother, I shall henceforth refer to the bar as a "tavern."

Mom and grandma in the tavern...



Here's Markie. Note how Slim Jim he's looking...





Sara, acting out that one scene in Twilight on my arm...



Sara, making that one face that Adam Lambert makes...
(Note Markie in the background, trying his darnedest to vote for that guy who got voted off. Can't remember his name anymore.)



I told Katie this was a weird pose, but she kept dunking down like that, afraid she was blocking Cristin.



Look at all that alcohol we're not drinking!!! I wonder if the tavern wench would have kept the tavern open for us if she had known we'd be having Diet Cokes all around?



Anyway, thanks for the good times. I had tons of fun, and it was good to see all you peeps that I don't see often. Wish I had gotten more pictures.

PS. I didn't make it all the way up to Boise on this trip. I totally would have called you Le Bois peeps if I had. Hopefully this summer!

11 comments:

ManicMandee said...

Yeah, I'm sad I missed the tavern party. Love the legs picture. And Katie actually fits behind those quite well.

Markie23 said...

I think you offended Eva.
I also think we should make "night out at a tavern" a regular thing. Soooo much fun!

Cristin said...

YAY I love the pictures, ahhh so many memories. I have to say that I'm kinda glad I had my accident otherwise I would have missed the best night. Totally worth it imo. Just don't tell LM that k?

I heart taverns now...seriously gize...they rock.

Flem said...

That looks weirdo for sure! Creepsville.

It looks like a good time and this was so fun it isn't even a "you had to be there" kind of post.

How many of you own sweatshirts that say Forks?

Jana said...

Those legs are the scariest thing I've ever seen. And without the flash it looks like some painting from the Dark Ages. Very artsy. I didn't know Albion was so creepy.
PS After your comment on my blog, you know it is mandatory now that you post your wedding pictures. I NEED to see your self-hair-do and your empire waist dress, please. Thank you.

Memzy said...

I already commented on here, like, 3 hours ago. Blogger must have eaten it.

Anyhoo, cool pics!! I can see so much more from these than I did from your creepy email pics that week. It's almost like I was there.

Tavern

Annie said...

Boy that was a fun "Thing" and I'm so glad I went. Good times all around. So sad I missed the Tavern Party...next time.

Love the pic of Brigg.

Landee said...

Creepsville, ID.... population... you gize.

So what is creepier? The legs or the fact that you were obsessed with the legs?

I really am glad you gize had fun even without me. Really. I am.

Mary said...

Great report, your 11th grade English teacher would have been proud! Wish I could figure out how to do more than one picture at a time, I have some great shots!

Katie said...

That really hot pictures of my legs totally makes up for the horrible one of me at the tavern.

I loved that place. I need help finding a reason to go back. I miss you...

Amanda said...

Your mom in a bar? No way.
And yes, come to Boise for sure this summer. :)