Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Boys

You know how Homer goes to the YMCA on Fridays? He calls it "school" and takes a tiny backpack with him, but it's more like organized play time. Well, he's become completely obsessed with it. It's the highlight of his week. He talks about it all week long, never takes his backpack off, prays every night that he can "go to school on Friday," asks every morning if it's Friday... and I just found out that the YMCA isn't doing Friday Fun Day in the month of April due to Spring Break.

I don't have the heart to tell him.
He's already asked me a million times if today is Friday, with his lil backpack on and everything.



Speaking of backpacks, my kids's backpacks were so packed full of papers and junk, that they could never find their homework, or any important papers. So I gave them a trash bag and made them clean them out. A while later, Gus comes up with a pile of stuff for me. There were THREE citizenship awards in the stack, including predated notices telling me that he was being presented with that month's citizenship award and inviting me to the morning assembly.

I was annoyed because I'm sure it must have seemed to his teacher that I don't care if he gets the citizenship award, and I do care. A little bit, anyway. I think Gus is the one who doesn't care. He's basically getting an award for being shy.

Speaking of Gus, today is spring picture day at their school. They took school pictures in the fall, but in the spring, they take the class pictures. This is how they get you to buy more pictures that you don't want, because I DO want the class picture, so I end up buying a package.

Anyway, they have all these ridiculous backgrounds to pick from, like laser beams, lockers with sports equipment spilling out, a brick wall with e=mc2 graffiti on it, a wall of license plates (my personal fave), etc. So this morning, they were looking over the options and Cord decides he wants the American flag background, and Gus just gives him this look, and Cord's like "what?" and Gus goes, "that background does not match your outfit." Cord argues with him for a while, then he moves on this rock wall background, and Gus goes, "you'll blend right into the wall." And he's right because Cord is wearing a sweater that is the exact same shade as the wall. Cord's all frustrated and Gus suggests he goes with the waterfall background, which probably complements his outfit the best. For himself, Gus went with the winding walkway and lamppost, which will bring out the grays in his sweater without completely washing him out.

Gus cares about clothes and style, not citizenship awards.

12 comments:

Hot Pants said...

That is funny, cuz I was totally going to do a post about the reduculous backgrounds for my kids spring pictures. They were so bad, we thought about ordering the biggest size we could get.

eekareek said...

How very meterosexual of Gus. The backdrops are the grooviest. I am totally feeling the e=mc2 graffiti one.

My favorite was one time when Wolfe brought home his pictures and they sent a package of a whole bunch of pictures that I could buy, already printed out and everything but Wolfe was looking up at the ceiling and his eye were half closed, like maybe he was about to sneeze. The annoying part wasn't that they sent me pictures of him not even looking at the camera but inside the same packet, they had another option of a picture that they had taken that same day of him looking at the camera and smiling. Why didn't they print off those pictures??!!!

Landee said...

I still don't know what "washed out" even means so good for Gus.

I so wish they'd bring back the black background front view with the little profile pic up in the corner. It does not get groovier than that. I mean, in 20 years I'm not gonna remember my kids' profiles fhs. They need to be documented.

Jana said...

Awwww, poor little guy. Take him to the Y anyway. He can play basketball or something.

Memzy said...

We were lucky enough here in Bako to get a "beach scene" complete with sand and pails and shovels. REAL ONES. We don't get to choose. But I would have chosen the beach scene anyway. Again......lucky.

Emily said...

I can't even tell you how many assemblys I've missed with my kids getting some stupid award cuz I didn't see the notice.

Oh, and school pictures are a big time gamble and didn't stupid backgrounds go out of style after the 90's?

Carr Family said...

I identified with a lot of that. I was absolutely shocked when my kids' spring pictures turned out cute this year... just a greenery/floral background. I feel like I've been cheated out of that cool license plate one:)

Katie said...

We ended up with the Hawaii background. It was a really tough decision, I wanted the sitting on a log in the middle of a stream on, but I was overruled. Seriously, can they add black or while as a choice?

Seriously Jenny, what kind of mom doesn't go through their kids papers every day? I am guessing the same kind of mom that won't take her son to do something better than the Y to make of for missing class...yeah, a crappy mom.

Flem said...

Wow all you suburbanites and your fancy backgrounds. My kids just pick a color and then they tell me that they picked "pose number" 1, 2, or 3. Then they pose.

That is the way we roll in the ghetto which is why I NEVER buy them and just wait for my bakersfield and denver friends to take pics of my kids.

Jenny ESP said...

Katie, you're cruisin' for a bruisin'

Annie said...

My kids spring picture form just said "Don't wear green". I think they are planning on putting them in front of a green screen or soemthing...

And at least it's a "good" citizenship announcement your missing and not a note from the teacher asking you to call her (2 weeks ago)

michelle said...

That is so funny about Gus and his fashion sense. He takes his brother role seriously - making sure Cord looks good :)

Poor Homer - maybe you can take him somewhere special to make up for him not going to the Y. That's really cute that he likes it so much.