Thursday, January 8, 2009

Refocusing

During my nightly (er, from now) run last night, a few of my most happiest moments from 2008 popped into my head.

Not to go all Pollyanna on you, but every so often, I'll get this overwhelming feeling of happiness (as we all do, hopefully), and when that happens, I bookmark it in my mind (or "add it to my favorites" if you still use Explorer). I bookmark it by taking note of everything around me, like where I am, what I'm doing, smells, sounds, tastes, etc, etc. My happiest moments aren't necessarily sparked by particular events, in fact, my happiest moment in 2007 happened while sitting on my couch in my family room, watching TV. I wasn't overwhelmingly happy because I was sitting on the couch watching Ugly Betty. I don't even know, exactly, why I was so stinkin' happy. Spiritually speaking, my life was probably going in the right direction at that moment (::buffing my halo::) and scientifically speaking, my body might have reacted by releasing positive neutrons in my brain (::adjusting my thick smarty-pants glasses::).

Of course, overwhelming happiness is fleeting, and it can even be replaced by overwhelming sadness. BUT, if I bookmark those moments of overwhelming happiness in my mind, then I can recall the feeling whenever I want (::attaching a giant Pollyanna bow to the ponytail at the nape of my neck::).

Crazy people call this "going to their happy place," BTW.

So, back to my point. When I was running last night, and I recalled that brief moment in Sept 2008--sitting on my balcony, cross-legged, striped PJ bottoms, notebook, iPod, Diet Coke, spider web, cockroach--I was suddenly determined to refocus my life in the direction I was going at that one overwhelmingly happy moment. Determined.

This is deep S, you gize. (and when I say S, I don't mean the S word, I mean "stuff") Anyway, deep S.

19 comments:

ManicMandee said...

That was so deep I am not sure if I got it completely. But I think I know what you mean. It's funny, some of my happiest moments in that way happened when I was running too. A dr. once told me "It's hard to get depressed when you can't breathe" (referring to running)

Katie said...

So your happy place is your patio with spider webs and a cockroach? Wait, I think is see now. Maybe not though. That is deep S.

I don't know why you would be so happy, I think I was moving to Idaho at the time...I thought you liked me...

Katie said...

Yep! I got it! I think. You should refocus on that s.

Memzy said...

Cockroaches always get me to that "place". But it could be the humming and my body in the fetal position that does it for me too. Or stripey jammie pants.

Landee said...

What the H is this? (not the "H word"). I don't like being confused. It's rood.

Emily said...

I can't seem to de-code this post. I'm gonna have to think about this for a while...

Emily said...

Maybe there wasn't really anything to decode. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Landee said...

After doing a little researching, I realized that September was about when I started commenting you.

So I get it now.

I get it.

Jenny ESP said...

What the H you gize? (meaning "heck") It was deep, but also a pretty simple concept. C'mon.

So I think I'm gonna start "Deep S Thursday" or something, but maybe not on Thursday. (and when I say S, I don't mean the S word, I mean "stuff").

Jenny ESP said...

L--your comments complete me, as does watching a cockroach scurry across my balcony.

Hot Pants said...

I'm in a state of deep S right now. And by S, I don't mean the S word, I mean stress. I can't even sleep and now I am just up on the blogs wishing I had your sense of direction to make it all stop.

Hot Pants said...

BTW, my S is also mixed with a little P. And by P, I mean pissed.

eekareek said...

I had a happy moment just reading your blog.

Sam, Shel & Co said...

I love moments of clarity like that. Don't get them often, though. My muddled old brain gets too caught up in Amy's S_word.

Amy, maybe you need a vacay. Come visit...sitting on the beach just watching waves does great things for stress levels. (As long as you don't have children with you that you have to keep from drowning)

Cristin said...

I totally get it. But I'm S- when I say s- I mean smart.

Markie23 said...

You blew my mind in ways I can't even comprehend.

Markie23 said...

Oh, are you talking about a moment of Zen? I had one recently. It was twilight, and the California Screaming roller coaster I was in was just banking around the Maliboomer when two of the Maliboomer's chairs launched up the towers, one just a second behind the other, and the roller coaster screams, and the Maliboomer screams co-mingled into one glorious harmony of joy and beauty.

Annie said...

Wow!

Landee said...

BTW, you say Pollyanna like it's a bad thing.

You're so full of S (that's not the S-word, it's sarcasm).