Saturday, December 20, 2008

Super Hot Topic

Question: Does your husband (or if you're a man, do you) do the Christmas shopping for the people on his side of the family, or does he leave that up to you?

In the 12 years that we've been married, Tony has never picked out a gift or card for anyone on his side of the family for any occasion, and I'm just wondering if that's typical.

I'm having the hardest time coming up with a Christmas present for my mother-in-law in particular. Apparently, Tony's not concerned about the fact that we haven't gotten anything for his mom yet. Probably because he knows from past experience that I'll eventually do it, even if he agrees to take care of it himself (<--he always agrees to do it, but of course he never has any intention of actually doing it).

We're running out of time because we have to mail the gift, so last night, I finally asked Tony to just give me an idea of what to get his mom (he has NEVER come up with a suggestion either), and I'd go pick it up. He was like, "uh, lets see, uh," for like twenty minutes. I was like, "What are her hobbies? What does she like to do? What does she need?" and he was silent for a minute, and then he goes, "I guess you could get her some church clothes."

Wha... ?



He was serious you gize.

PS. Does anyone actually know their MIL's dress size?

11 comments:

Memzy said...

This is very NON-weird. I am the gift buyer for my hubby's fam. Always have been. There are a few very random occasions where he has done it but I can't say how that exactly happened. Are gift cards out of the question?

Memzy said...

ps. braids

Hot Pants said...

This was true for us too, until about 2 years ago when I went all freaky about it. And I would NEVER try to guess my MIL dress size. If I went too small she'd have to take it back and then she'd know I got it on sale off the clearance rack at ShopKo. If I bought it too big it would have the same result, only she'd also thinking I thought she was fat.

quesetescapa said...

This sounds exactly like my husband in the weirdo suggestion, but he never, I repeat never, says he will take care of it. Three times he has surprised me by coming home from Borders with a "I got this for my dad since it was only $2" present. I would also buy my MIL a sweater, size medium, with the gift receipt attached. I am sure she doesn't wear a medium but no one is offended by that size if they are a 8-16. If your MIL wears a size 18 or larger than don't buy her any clothes because a medium would be an obvious insult just as much as a XXL.

ManicMandee said...

Steve is EXACTLY like this. I always have to fill him in on what "we" or "he" bought someone so that if asked, he'll appear to have been involved in the whole gift thing. And I have bought my mother in-law church clothes before. I know it sounds strange, but she needed it.

Jana said...

What does that picture have to do with this post? Does your MIL wear polygamist clothes to church?

Emily said...

It must be a guy thing. Rob NEVER buys his family anything. If it were left up to him, there would be no gift giving to his family. There is NO way I would ever be able to pick out a dress for my MIL. How about a gift certificat to Dress Barn?

Katie said...

I got a gift for your dad this year. Tom insists that this is my job too. When I told him what it was, he got all pissy, and said I must not know him very well, and that he would do it himself. Today was shopping with Tom for your dad's gift....WORST DAY EVER!! And guess what he is getting...the thing I picked out for him.

Carol said...

Loved this post! It's a universal problem that will never go away. My hubby has become smarter as the years go by and suggested we give her a gift certificate to Khols. It's simple, clean, done. However, when he asked ME for stocking stuffer ideas for MY stocking I said, "Well, I need some Clinque foundation, that's a good idea". His next question, "Those don't come in colors, do they?" I rest my case.

Memzy said...

^^This is very true.

Annie said...

Ditto here in this house. I went with the Harry & David gift pack for the in-laws this year.