Sunday, December 28, 2008

Big drama at church today...

Our sacrament meeting is last, so the process of meeting up with your kids and finding a place to sit can be a little chaotic, especially if you aren't used to that backwards arrangement.

Well, my sister Erin and her kids, Maddie and Frances, came to church with us today (technically, they're in our ward but it had been a while), and when Sunday school was over, Erin and I met up with our kids in the chapel and found a place to sit, but after a few minutes, Maddie still hadn't shown up.

We sent Cord to go look for her, but he came back after a few minutes without finding her, so Erin got up to look for her. Sacrament meeting started, and a few minutes in, Erin peeked her head into the chapel and motioned that she still couldn't find her. So I left the kids, and went out to help. We looked everywhere, the bathrooms, classrooms, outside, in Erin's car, in the plants and trees, places people can't fit, etc. but she was nowhere to be found. Finally, Erin decided to drive around the area, thinking Maddie might have left on foot (which was unlikely, but we had looked everywhere), and I went back in to sit with the rest of the kids.

About 15 minutes passed, and while I waited for Erin, I scanned the whole chapel, bench by bench, looking for any of her friends, thinking she might have sat down with another family (also very unlikely), but she wasn't anywhere. Finally, Erin came back looking rather panicked, because she still hadn't found her. So, I gathered up all our crap, and ushered our kids out to the foyer.

We really had no clue what to do next. The primary pres.'s husband happened to come out about that time, and we explained the situation to him and he went to get his wife and Maddie's primary teacher, thinking they would have some input. Erin had called Corey, and he arrived at the church around that time and enlisted the help of a few other men in the foyer. Those gize ended up pulling out The Bish, and The Bish thought they should grab Bro. FBI Agent, and Bro. Cop, and get their advice. Should The Bish go back in and announce that a child was missing? Should we call 911? About an hour had gone by.

By this time, both Erin and I were feeling a little emotional. Honestly, I was on the verge of bawling and had stopped talking to prevent that from happening. Cord was throwing out phrases like, "man, that would suck if she got kidnapped," all casually, and I was recalling old-wives-tells about kids being snatched from churches, when all the sudden, as non-nonchalant as you'd imagine, Maddie comes wondering into the foyer with her primary teacher. He had gone back in the chapel to search every pew, and found her sitting on the first bench by herself.

Maddie was like, "Wha's the biggie?" and Erin immediately goes for her throat (just a mid-air choke). It turned out, Maddie had gotten to the chapel before us, and had found a seat on the front row. She saw us come in and sit down, waved to us without getting our attention, but didn't come back and join us, as she had the better seat.

Everyone was relieved by the outcome, and we joked about it a little, and then Erin and I awkwardly gathered our five hyped-up kids and all their junk, and sat in the back of the chapel for the last few minutes of sac. Cuz what were we supposed to do at that point? Leave? I dunno. Awkward. Embarrassing, too, to cause all that much-ado-about-nothing in the middle of sacrament meeting.

PS. if you like adventure, click here.

20 comments:

quesetescapa said...

Wow! What a scary adventure. I have lost my kids in a few places but never the chapel. We used to have Sacrament last and it was always a bit chaotic too...

I didn't comment on Cord's blog but it is cool that he has started one. I should have my daughter do one too...

Memzy said...

Brains is gonna be soooo jealous. Drama+church=yuck. But somehow I think Maddie is way cool for chillin on the front pew herself.

Carol said...

Jenny, I say go for the computer GPS chip in the kids back tooth a.s.a.p. It's only going to get worse Mommy.

Hot Pants said...

I'm glad you found her....with the help of the FBI. Think Erin will ever go again?

Krissy and Jason said...

What an exciting day at church! Ours was pretty boring, no one got lost or said "crap" over the pulpit or anything. Oh wait, someone did forget the bread so when it was sacrament time we had to sit and listen to the organist play while someone went home to get some...other than that, not too exciting.

ManicMandee said...

We've had a few experiences like that. One in particular I am thinking of actually was worse. Glad she didn't get kidnapped and it was all just you gize freaking out over nothing.

Emily said...

I bet Erin can't wait to go back next week. I wonder what Mattie was thinkng when she was sitting by herself that whole time? Glad you can all laugh about it now

Landee said...

I would kill for that kind of drama during sac meeting! I bet that hour & 10 just flew by. My sac meeting went by pretty quick too cuz I was texting Memzy the whole time. Wait, wha? No I wasn't. K I was.

I gave a really lame closing prayer today though. So that's good.

Jana said...

We lived in Vegas for 4 months, and Bro. Cop was totally in our ward! They're such a nice family.
Sounds scary. I'm glad you found the little rascal.

Mary said...

I imagine it was a bit of excitement that all enjoyed once the outcome was a happy one. So no need for anyone to feel they can't attend again next week. They will probably be the most popular people there!

Erin Beck said...

Actually the whole thing was a set up so I didnt have to sit in there for 1 hr 10 min...only 10 min! Only my plan backfired and they all ended up with my address and phone number..now I can expect my phone to be ringing off the hook at any time

eekareek said...

Cord version was much more dramatic.

Annie said...

Trent told me this story last night after reading your blog. I had to come read it for myself. CRAZY!

Markie23 said...

I can totally see how she got lost. I would NEVER think of finding anyone (and thus would never look for anyone) on the first row of the chapel.

Amanda said...

I guess that's what you get when you start going back to church.

Jenny ESP said...

You gize, the most dramatic part about it was that Maddie's 11 (yeah, 11) and very responsible. So it's not like she could get lost on accident. Foul play was clearly involved.

Q--Yeah, I would have let him start a blog sooner, but I would have had to give him more compy time. Now that we have two (rich!), it's no biggie.

C-Man said...

I'm happy I have a blog and mom, can you tell Maddie how to use her blog.

Erin Beck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin Beck said...

Thats what we we get for going back to church?? for realz Amanda?

Katie said...

I am not going to bother reading this post because I have heard the story by a few different people already, but i might take a glance over at Cord's version...no offense.