Saturday, November 15, 2008

LET MY PEOPLE GO

I've been reading an epic novel all week (more on that later, but my title is your clue). It crippled me emotionally, so I couldn't blog. I finally finished it, but I am totally depressed and unmotivated. Keep me in your thoughts during these trying times.

Anyway, because our book club is reading Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, I put out a call for you gize to email me "Uglies" self-portraits. The response was incredible. Some of those ugly faces have kept me up at night. Go to the Smart Remarks blog and check them out if you haven't seen them yet. And if you want me to add your Uglies picture to the contest, email it to me, mmK?

So, it had been about a year since I last took ugly pictures of myself and I REALLY needed to update them and push myself to be a little uglier.

I did my hair and make-up, and then had a little photo shoot. I was really excited about the results. When Anthony got home from work, I showed him the pictures and he did not even crack a smile. He looked horrified. He said I looked really ugly, and I saw him actually cringe away from the computer as he flipped through the images.

Success!!

But then my sister Erin saw them, shrugged, and said I looked kind of pretty in the pictures. Whoa, wha...??!!!???! I had worked so hard! Was it all for nothing? Then I was sorta embarrassed. If you go check out those Uglies on the Smart Remarks blog, they really put me to shame. Landee and Memzy tried to reassure me that I did in fact look ugly, but I don't know if they were just trying to be nice or what.

So now I don't know what to do. Should I retake these and go uglier, or are these pictures ugly enough? Appreciate any input.

video

15 comments:

Emily said...

Yeah, you nailed it. Did you use scotch tape to make your nose look like that?

Very impressive.

Landee said...

Srsly, and I'm not just being nice... those are the ugliest pictures of anyone that I've ever known personally.

I think the problem is they need to be closer up. Less belt-off-to-the-side and more piggy nose. Just my opinion.

Katie said...

I agree with Erin. You do look kind of pretty in those. You look like the girl from Beetlejuice, what was her name. I feel officially challenged to do ugly better than you. I am positive I can pull it off.

Erin Beck said...

I dont think she taped her nose emily, she got a nose job. Were did you get those sexy pole moves too! Yes you definately look hot!

Memzy said...

I have to say that I am EXTREMELY grateful you put all those pics on video for us. It's like one doesn't do it justice. If you are willing, I have about 20 other "ugly shots" of myself I am willing to email you for a video montage purpose. You know, since you have nothing else to do and stuff.

Jenny ESP said...

Geez, I don't think you gize realize how hard it is for me to make myself look ugly. My bone structure is perfect. I can do better though. Bring it on Katie. Bring. It. On.

And I took a bunch of close up pictures of myself at first but you could clearly see the tape holding my nose up, so it lost the "for realz" effect.

Jenny ESP said...

And, M, totally send those pics. I have a lot of time on my hands. Ari.

Markie23 said...

I'm totally serious when I say those pics are extraordinarily HOT!! Sadly they look nothing like you.

Jenny ESP said...

Oh snap, Katie. I just saw your picture.

ManicMandee said...

Jenny I have 3 words for you:
I LOVE YOU.

You are so funny. Those photos are both ugly and hot. How did you do that???

Hot Pants said...

That was so groovin. And I mean that in the worst groovinest way possible. Disturbingly groovy.

Katie said...

It is surprising how little make-up it took to turn me into that. I told you I could do ugly better than you. I just hope no one links onto it. I think it could make a man sterile.

Cristin said...

that was funny even after watching it several times...your are an arteeest.

Annie said...

I can't believe it took me SOOOOO long to finally getting around to looking at your "uglies". I totally LOVED them.

Amanda said...

The nose. That's what reeled me in. I just had to see more.

But I don't know about ugly...kind of a mix between skankey and piggy.