Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Topic Brought to you by Ask Memzy...

This is what advice columnist Ask Memzy suggested I write about today:

Jenny ESP--It might be too late for a suggestion. But if not, I would like to see you blog about what kinda Christmas traditions you and your little fam have over there in LV.

Since Ask Memzy has never steered me wrong in the past, I'm going to blog about this, even though I am not in the Christmas spirit (I have two other major holidays to get through, ya know).

Christmas in Las Vegas is very festive. You might recall this picture from last Christmas...



See what I mean?

It's really easy to get in the Christmas spirit with mall decorations like that.

A lot of our family traditions are pretty standard, so I won't bore you with them all, but here are a few of my favorites...

We watch TONS of Christmas movies. Both on TV and at the movie theater. One of my all time favorite movies is It's a Wonderful Life. It's utter brillance, that movie. I love it, and I love George Bailey.
We also always go see the "blockbuster" family movie that comes out on Christmas day--I have some really great memories of going to the movies with my brother and sisters' families and remember the exact movie we saw each year. This is something my parents always did with us growing up, so even walking into the movie theater stirs up all these found childhood memories.

And check this out...



We decorate the crap out of our house! And check out how long and stretchy our stockings are. It took me SO long to find the perfect stockings for us. You see, we put all of our best gifts into our stockings and wrap everything individually, like Dixon Ticonderoga pencils, Pulsar toothbrushes, batteries, sugar free bubblemint gum, socks without holes, mascara, shaving cream, new fancy razors, bargain DVDs and CDs, Good & Plentys, suduko books, mind teasers, and other tiny items like that, AND did I mention everything is individually wrapped? This is a tradition that was carried over from my childhood. My mom (er, Santa) always made the BEST stockings. It takes a long time to unwrap all those tiny presents, and anticipation is everything. Super fun! (plus, I don't know if you noticed, but most of that stuff are items we need anyway--mums the word.)





So, we have tons of other traditions, but those are two of my faves. I know those are silly things and not really "true meaning of Christmas-ish," but those things sure make me feel all happy inside. It's mainly about spending time and enjoying the season with the four men in my life.
(You hear me, right Memzy? Boyz club! Holla.)


(Ew, look at my hair you gize!)


12 comments:

Landee said...

I totally love the little wrapped "gifts"/stuff Tony brought home from CVS idea, but I HATE wrapping presents. Srsly, it's like a necessary evil for me. I am almost to the point of doing that dumb thing where you don't wrap "Santa presents" because I'm just that lazy. If I sent you a bunch of stuff to wrap could you do it & then send it back? I'll totally pay shipping. My kids would love to spend 5 minutes opening a present and have it turn out to be Tic-Tacs. <--- not kidding.

Annie said...

Growing up stockings were always my favorite too. I remember the Christmas's with you guys where we would all get kinda the same stuff cause our Mom's did there shopping together. I do the same with my kids too.

BTW: I like you!

Hot Pants said...

Has everyone listened to your music? "Oh no you didn't" is at the top of my new favorite songs list.
I like how we all have very similar Christmas traditions, almost like we grew up in the same house. weird

Memzy said...

HOLLAH!! to the Three Boys Club (TBC). It's very exclusive ya know.

And sooper yay on the post. I love hearing about other peoples "ways". Just ask Landee. A few things:

1.The mere amount of times you've mnetioned Ticonderoga pencils has be itching to buy some. Congrats for converting me. I'm usually a mechanical pencil girl.

2. Those long and stretchy stockings are RAD. Where'd you get?

3. That wrapping of stocking stuffers must have come from Gram Bailey because Shed grew up that way too. I tried it out for a few years but then reverted back to my childhood ways.

4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE wrapping presents. It's one of my fave things about the holidays. I could sit and do it for hours. I never tire of picking out cute Christmas wrapping and coordinating ribbons/bowbows and usually end up with way too much each year. So, if any of you want me to wrap for you I'll do it. SRSLY.

Markie23 said...

I can't imagine anything better in life than getting a stocking that is bigger than you are. Lucky Homer!

Mary said...

I love the way Homer is hugging his stocking tightly to his body. You can tell that one day he's going to be talking about stockings being his favorite thing about the holidays.

Landee said...

"The Place" had never looked better, btw.

Hot Pants said...

I have 3 boys, so am I in the club? Just cuz I one-upped you with having a fourth child that happens to be a girl shouldn't give me da-boot. Don't be prejudice against me.

Emily said...

I'm all in the Christmas spirit now. Fun and informative post!

Jenny B. said...

hello what about the movie the CHRISTMAS STORY,
Ralphie ? that's a classic. i love the stockings. they are awesome. and its never to early to be in the Christmas spirit. you should be all year round.,

Jenny ESP said...

memzy--I got the stockings at Kirkland. Do they have that store in CA? Super cheap home goods that look all fancy. (my whole house is Kirklanded-out)

Amy--no

J.B.--yeah, Christmas Story is da bomb, too.

Hot Pants said...

Hey Annie, do you want to be in a club for just people with a bunch a boys and only one girl? Landee and Sara both qualify too. It's going to be way more awesomer than just all boys.