Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Warm Summer Nights

Is it still summer? My perception is a little skewed.

Anyway, Anthony runs 5 miles every night. In the fall, as the LV marathon approaches, he ups it to 10-12 miles a night. This distance doesn't seem to phase him, cuz he "lettered" in track. But he says he's so used to it, that he doesn't start to feel any pain until the 13th mile. Pain? Who DOESN'T like a little pain every now and again?

So these are my new running shoes...


My motivation for joining him has nothing to do with actually wanting to run or get in shape, I just want to go outside and enjoy the nice night with my iPod and without kids. I'm so a night person. Lately, it's been about 80 degrees at night, with a really nice breeze. My FAVORITE thing about LV *hands-down* are the warm nights.

I'm very weak, like Mr. Burns, so Anthony let me set the pace. He was very patient--I was pretty slow. Sometimes I thought we weren't even moving forward, just kind of bouncing in place. But I "ran" for a mile, and then walked a mile and a half--Anthony commented that I walked faster than I ran, and I told him it's from all those trips to Wal*Mart.

But he walked along beside me without a word of complaint, though I knew he was antsy to really take-off running. I enjoyed it so much (not the running part, just the being outside at night listening to my iPod without any kids part) that I could have walked around our neighborhood all night, but I started to feel guilty for holding Anthony back, so I faked a knee injury. I saw a flash of relief in his eyes, so I knew I had done the right thing. He dropped me off at home, and then sprinted off down the street. Show off.

Anyway, I can't wait for him to get home tonight so we can go "running" again. When I told him, he was like, "That's cool," but there was no emotion in his voice, like he was numb inside or something. He's nice to me.

Here's my iPod.



I'm obsessed with it, and have regular nightmares that I lose it or it gets stolen. Then I wake up in a cold sweat, frantically feeling around on the nightstand to make sure it's still there.

--Athletic Jenny

Oh, forgot to mention, looks like the Smart Remarks book for this month is The Host. I think it'll be a fun one to review--hopefully everyone will read it and play along, even those who didn't vote for it hint hint Mark. Should I be concerned that most people voted for it because they "already read it?" Ah well.


16 comments:

Amy Thurston said...

I heard you can't walk around at night in Arizona. You can in Boise though, and when it gets too cold, you can walk around in the heated YMCA....with me....I won't even make you talk.

Landeelu said...

I hate running. It's like my body wasn't made to go any faster than a quick walk. And even then, I need some kind of motivation like it's raining and I have to get to my car in the Target parking lot.

So, like, were your kids home sleeping or something?

Memzy said...

^Leaves her 8 yr old to babysit while she goes to the gym.

But anyway, you may already know how I feel about running. And it IS all about the outside for me too. The treadmill is just punishment for me. I bet you'll get really good and obsess over it soon. I can't wait to see that post.

Memzy said...

ps. I am now obsessed with the Perishers.

Cristin said...

geeeesh what's with all the runners???

I miss Las Vegas warm nights...it's already in the 60's during the day so you can imagine what it's like for my evening walk...see I don't even bother to pretend that I'm a runner. I'm a walker and proud of it thought I wish I were cool and a runner. Someday...oh yes someday.

Markie23 said...

I think that since so many have already read The Host and since the rest can easily read it in a week or so, you should pick TWO books this month, but that's just me.
Sorry... I don't mean to be difficult... I know I SWORE I would be good. Don't hold it against me. (that's what she said)

Vegas Family said...

I with you on the Las Vegas summer nights...they are one of my favorites also.

Great job on the running. My friend asked me to run in a marathon with her in Dec. that just made me laugh because I can't run one mile without feeling like I will drop dead.

ajesplin said...

M, I love how you outed L. No judgment though. And I'm obsessed with the Perishers, too.

We ran at midnight so the kids were in bed. We just ran around our very small neighborhood (two laps is one mile). But we told our oldest that we were going to run while he was asleep and put the phone by his bed in case anyone woke up and locked the door and took our cell phones and he is 10 years old and why am I explaining myself I have nothing to feel guilty about.

Whoa! Be good Mark. Be good. There is no way I'm gonna get these people to read two books in one month. I can't even get them to read one.

katie or tom said...

I have decided I would rather have my music than TV. I have spend many of my recent nights listening to music and ignoring the TV. Oh, it is on, and I am in front of it, but I am not there. I am in my happy music place.

charlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
charlie said...

i like music

Landeelu said...

::giving M the "shutty!" look::

Of course I wasn't judging... I was just wondering. We all have to make arrangements to get in some iPod/no kids time. I was just wondering what J's arrangements were.

Erin Beck said...

"Excellent" (in a Mr. Burns voice) Amy is right though. I had my MP3 playa(gansta) stolen outta my car..oh thanks Corey for fixin those locks you broke by the way...

Amanda said...

Very impressed with Anthony! I like your retro Ipod cover Jenny. If I looked like you I would have little or no motivation to exercise.

ajesplin said...

St. L, I know you weren't. And I meant I wasn't judging YOU, what with your whole gym arrangement. (8yrs old, got the holy ghost, good to go).

--St. J

Landeelu said...

THANK YOU St. J!!! Told ya Memz.