Monday, September 1, 2008

"SOMEone has a lot of time on their hands."

Don't you hate it when people say this to you?

And it always comes after you've accomplished something that was extremely time consuming, diminishing all your hard work, as if you didn't have to make any sacrifices to get it done.



I hear that all the time--mainly from the same people--and I try to tell them, "Look, I did all the same crap you did today, plus all my additional crap, so don't kid yourself."



But that goes in one ear and out the other, because it's the last thing they want to believe. "No, no, no," they insist, "the reason you were able to [accomplish something time consuming] is because you have so much extra time on your [very unimportant] hands."



And, if I have an endless supply of time, whilst they have absolutely no time at all, their time suddenly becomes some sort of precious resource, like petroleum or magnesium, and my time becomes an infinite resource that they can suck dry, like air or cardboard.



Listen, I don't have any more time than you do. That's just a lie you tell yourself so you don't feel bad at the end of the day. We all start with the same 24hours, and if you choose to spend your time gluing pennies to your dashboard, I won't judge you, just don't assume that gives you the right to steal a few hours of my "infinite" time.

If you can't tell, I've had some time to think about this.

--St. Jenny

On another note, I somehow started this rumor that I'm pregnant, wrote a novel, and have an agent. Sorry about all that, but it was only about me so no harm done. I forgive myself.

11 comments:

Cristin said...

Keep telling yourself that Jenny, I know you have extra time on your hands....my time is like pennies, there's lots of it but I prefer to hide at the bottom of my purse.

charlie said...

If i ever saw that car i would rip ever penny off and donate it to charlies beer fund, no what i'm sayin
I meen seriusly, thats lotta do

Amanda said...

How did you get photos of my car?

charlie said...

SOMEone has a lot of time on their hands

Memzy said...

I'll pay you ten dollars for it. Plus a tip of some burnt poo breakfast rolls.

katie or tom said...

You're pregnant?! Congratulations! I just so happen to have a crib I am just about finished up with, oh, and a high chair too. That way you can replace your really nice ones with my old crappy ones. Aren't I giving, but you will have to come get it yourself because I have NO time at all to get it over to you, and since you have nothing better to do, maybe you could pick me up some milk on the way over here?

Landeelu said...

All those pennies doubled the value of that car, btw.

The people who say that are the martyrs who never take any time for themselves and later on resent their children & husband for it. Just FYI.

Amy Thurston said...

I am just so super busy that I really don't have time for this.

Landeelu said...

So is the next book officially The Host or are you still checking for hanging chads/Miami-Dade to chime in?

Emily said...

That car is hilarious!! I can't believe that. I wish I could join your book club, but I am too busy wasting my time on other things. Someday...

sarastrasser said...

That car could be dangerous while driving west during the sun setting time.