Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mixed Feelings

My brother Tom and SIL Katie packed up and moved to Idaho yesterday.

The day before yesterday, I insisted on Anthony and I going over there and helping them move, but then I completely forgot and we showed up 1.5 hours late. By that time, they had finished packing up most the moving van by themselves.

Oh yeah, and Tom also did this:



He was trying to move the washer down the stairs by himself (so impatient), and it went tumbling down the staircase, damaging the walls and giving him a nasty cut on his hand. (He'll need one stitch.)



Their washer was busted up to pieces and they had to trash it. As you can tell, Katie was furious. I felt pretty guilty for not getting there in time. Katie was P-Oed at me too, as you can tell.



This is their dog, Whitey. Every time I see him, he looks smaller and more emaciated. Katie said he's dehydrated. I noticed him in the backyard snacking on a few long blades of grass, and his eyes were all shifty and paranoid, like he was worried about someone taking away his lunch, so I suspect he's hungry as well.



This is their adorable baby, Atticus. They feed and water him.



This is the whole sweaty group of them. Minus Hazel, who was still at school. (Pst. Look at Whitey. See what I mean?) Oh I forgot to mention. They also have an entire herd of creepy cats. They have decided to leave them with the house. I didn't realized that was an option, but apparently it is.



There goes the only cousin Homer had in town that was his age. They're all in Idaho now, forming a click.



Now the Morgans are gone.
I have very mixed feelings about them moving.

They HATED it here--that made Tom grumpy. It didn't help that they lived in a semi-ghetto area, with bad schools and nightly gun fire. I think it's safe to tell their dirty little secret now that they've moved, but they didn't actually live within the city of Las Vegas, but North Las Vegas... AKA ghetto town.

You know that scene from the movie Shrek when he rescues Fiona from the castle, and he looks across the fiery moat and says, "Sure it's big enough, but look at the location."




Well, they had bought a big, lovely home... in North Las Vegas.

Still, I don't think they really felt the pressure to move out of the area until their kids started school. That's when you really get an honest sampling of the kind of community you live in.

So, for these reasons, I'm happy and excited for them that they moved. I'm glad they chose Idaho because Katie has been wanting to move closer to her sisters for a VERY long time. I think they made an excellent decision to leave, and I hope everything works out for them in Idaho.

BUT...

I'm going to miss them.

I didn't really feel it until we were driving away from their house. I was suddenly all deep and nostalgic. We both moved to Las Vegas at the same time, in 2000, and I have had some of the best times in my life hanging out with Tom and Katie. In the more recent years, we did all the family stuff together, even took family vacations together. They've become the people we rely on if we're ever in a jam. Tom's the person I call when I come home to an empty house and I'm totally freaked out that there's a killer hiding inside. He's more paranoid than I am, so he'll stay on the phone with me while I check behind all the shower curtains, and always offers to drive out to my house with his guns and check for me.

Once, I was home alone with Homer when he was really little, and I passed by the front door and noticed it was ajar. I freaked out, grabbed Homer and my phone, and ran out of the house, sure that a killer had broken in. I called Tom, and Katie insisted on driving over (they live about 25-30 minutes away, depending on traffic) to make sure my house was safe. I was waiting outside barefoot, too scared to go back inside, when Katie arrived and got out of her van with a crowbar in hand. With Katie's crowbar, we searched every inch of my house and found it free and clear of killers. So, we're standing in my entryway, trying to figure out how the door could have possibly gotten opened, when Homer toddled over to the front door, unlocked the deadbolt and opened the door. Mystery solved.

I really got to know Katie better in the last three years. I think she is absolutely hilarious. I have so much fun with her. She actually got me started bloging (a very slow start). I'm so grateful for the kind of person she is. She's very supportive of my crazy aspirations, SO accepting of all my flaws, not easily offended, quick to forgive... everyone needs someone like that in their life. She's easy, if you know what I mean (and no, I don't mean it like that you pervs).

But I have to warn the Idaho relatives, Katie'll try to give you crap.
Don't take any of her crap! (I mean that literary).

Here's a typical phone conversation with Katie:

Me: Well, I better go. I'm all out of toilet paper. I need to run to the store...

Her: I have toilet paper. Tons of it. You can have some of it.

Me: Er, well, I'm not going to take your toilet paper. Plus, I'm also out of paper towels...

Her: I just bought a HUGE thing of paper towels at Costco. You can have some of my rolls.

Me: Well, I also need mil...

Her: Milk? Were you gonna say milk? Because I have tons of milk. It's gonna go bad. You can have some of it.

Me: Katie, you're like thirty minutes away, and the store's right down the street...

Her: Well, I'm going to the bank by Wal*mart, and we can meet in the parking lot, or I could just bring it by your house. I have four extra rolls of toilet paper, two rolls of paper towels, and one and a half gallons of milk...

Me: (still trying to find some reason why this won't work) I need salt.

Her: What a coincidence! I had a coupon for a ten pound bag of salt, there's no way I need all that salt, I'll pour half of it in a Ziplock...

Me: Katie! I'm not going to take your half-used, no-name brand crap. I'm going to the store...

Her: But...

Me: End of discussion!

If she tries to give you crap, that's how you handle it.

Anyway, if you're reading this Tom and Katie, I'm gonna miss you gize and your kids. Don't let them forget about their favorite aunt, pound it into their head everyday, OK?

KIT


Oh, I forgot one thing. When we were driving home from their house, Anthony and I (and even Homer) were very quiet and thoughtful. We stopped behind this middle-school school bus that was unloading kids, and a girl waddles off that had to be at least 8 months pregnant. It was a sign.
Anthony just looked at me and said, "I think it's time to move."

14 comments:

Amy Thurston said...

So sorry, but your loss is our gain. Funny though, I just got home from helping them move into their new house, and they are ALL wearing the same outfits as they were in your pictures. Must have been a long day. I will still come visit you, and we still have our blogger reunion weekend to look forward to.

Cristin said...

awww, I'm sad for you but happy for them. Idaho seems to be the place to be right now...but you know...Oregon isn't too bad. I mean we have our fruit cakes but that kind of happens when there's lot of..umm..."natural" people living in one state. If you move here, I might even come out of my cacoon(home) once or twice a year.

Landee said...

I wish I knew they had a bunch of cats. I would have had them ship me one... you know, for the mice.

I am of the opinion that if you have to move, moving to Idaho is probably as good as it's going to get. After Colorado, si claro. My parents & 3 of my siblings live there. You can tell them that. My family won't help them out or anything but, you know, just as an FYI.

Memzy said...

If for some astronomical reason Shed's business went belly up and he lost all of his clients or sumpin, our first pick to move and start over would be le Bois. I love it there!

ps. I think you should buy them a new washer fer rizzles.

Amanda said...

So are you guys gonna move now or what?!

abutler said...

I got left in North Las Vegas once and it was REALLY scrary. I wish I would have known at the time that all I had to do was call Tom.

Utah sure is a nice to pick up and move too.

sarastrasser said...

Don't listen to any of them, there are plenty of pharmacies in Idaho and this is the time of year when it is fun to live here. As nike once said, "Just Do It!"

Krissy and Jason said...

Oh good, now you can move up to Idaho!

Cristin said...

*chanting* OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON OREGON

Just think, j.h. would be no big deal especially if you happens to move to a small town where your kids could pick out there own lockers.... I'm just saying.

Memzy said...

Now that I think of it, moving is overrated. Stay in LV and then we can come visit only a short few hours away!

ajesplin said...

Hmm, thanks for all the input you gize. Seriously considering all those persuasive arguments...

Amy Thurston said...

If you moved by me you would for sure be able to make it to the annual Christmas party! Totally worth it.

Erin Beck said...

I have been feeling the same jenny. even though I dont see them as often as would like to I have truley enjoyed these last 2 years hanging with you guys. I miss you but hopefully will be following you guys back to Boise soon!!

Katie said...

Oh Jenny, this is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said on their blog about me. I started to cry...only a little. I miss you. That pink house is looking really good. 6 bedrooms, 1/3 of an acre nearly 3000 sf...bus to school...