Monday, September 22, 2008

Loss For Words

Literally. I don't have much to say. You're probably glad. My posts have been wordy, picture-less, and weak in content lately.

For those of you who don't know, I am a shockingly bad speller. I'd look like the idiot I am if it weren't for the magic of "spell check." But sometimes even spell check can't make sense of the word I'm trying to spell and I have to google it. If that doesn't work, I usually pick a different word or call Anthony for help.

Yesterday, I got really frustrated, trying to figure out how to spell "bachelor's" (as in bachelor's degree). Yes, I realize it's an easy word to spell. Anyway, spell check couldn't figure out what in the world I was trying to say, and Anthony was sitting right behind me so I asked him how to spell it. He kept rattling off the answer too fast for me to catch, and I got frustrated with him. I was like, "never mind! never mind!" thinking I'd google it, but then I realized Anthony's diploma is hanging on the wall right in from of me, so I squinted up at it, looking for the word bachelor's, and Anthony sighs and says, "Jenny, that's a doctorate."

I received my diploma a few days ago for my associates degree. It says "High Honors" on it because I graduated with a 4.0 (yes, you don't need to know how to spell to get a 4.0) so I was thinking of highlighting that part with a hot pink highlighter, and then matting it in a huge frame to compensate for the fact that it will be hanging next to Anthony's diploma. I told Anthony my plan, and he was like, "Hmm. Maybe I'll pull out my other diploma and have it framed too."

Flank you, Anthony. Flank you.

Side note: I'm making progress with The Host. Have you ever been in the middle of a kiss and had a strange desire to curl your hand into a fist, pull back, and sock the guy in the temple? Yeah, me neither. That's SO Melanie.

Edit: After Landee's comments, I thought I should show you that I too understand the significance of informal education ...





18 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't believe you haven't finished that book yet! Holy crap Jenny, just do it.
And since you are such an incredible writer who can make even the lamest things fun to read, I will never give you a hard time about your spelling. I have never read a post of yours that hasn't made me smile. Tis true.

Markie23 said...

I loved it when the one hand grabbed the other hand, like "NO, BAD HAND!".

Landee said...

JARED!!!

Degrees are meaningless, really. I always tell Gty that I have a degree in Street Smarts. You don't need no dikshunary for that, I assure you.

Amy Thurston said...

Oh yeah, I got a 5.0 in street smarts.
Melanie reminds me so much of myself. I too am just sooo strong that no alien has ever been able to overpower me. That is where my street smarts have really come in handy.

Markie23 said...

Since you are at a loss for words I will loan you some of mine...

Specious
bucolic
antediluvian
diurnal
phlegmatic
bivouac

Use them responsibly.

Cristin said...

spelling shmelling, how important is it anyway???

Grats on your 4.0, I've always wondered what it would be like to have a 4.0....

Umm, I have not re-read The Host ...can I recycle my original post about The Host??? My neighbor still has my book or maybe my dog ate it...I can't remember but I don't have it.

Memzy said...

Like I've said before, spalling is so overrrated. I think that you should give yourself a huge pat on the bag for any kind of a degree. Specially since you've done it with KIDS. And ride that 4.0 long and hard.

ps. didn't you want to do that when you kissed lam-o from subway for the first time?

Sam, Shel & Co said...

My posts are always wordy and pictureless. Your blog is WAY better. It's my favorite morning stop when I'm reading the news. I'm always disappointed when you haven't written....

Congrats on the 4.0. I'm always impressed when someone even gets out of school when she has a bunch of kids. Doing it with a 4.0 is just danged awesome.

Landee said...

After re-reading my comment, I think I may have implied that I ONLY have a degree in Street Smarts. I actually double majored & have a real degree. Well, as real as "Humanities" can be, I guess. I just wanted to clarify. You know, just so you know what you're up against.

abutler said...

I'm feeling your love for the spell check. Couldn't blog without it.

Amy Thurston said...

Oh, I went to school also Landee. I have my Real Estate license. We all know the amount of inteligence it requires to hold that sort of licencing. I mean,I went to night school for almost 5 weeks!

ajesplin said...

Wait, I just re-read my post and realized I may have implied that I ONLY have a formal education. I also graduated from the School of Hard Knocks.

Landee said...

Alright alright... I believed you even without the fancy scotch-taped-up-on-the-wall diploma.

Who'd you get to sign that bad-boy? Do NOT tell me you signed it yourself.

Cristin said...

hey where can I get one of those diplomas???

Memzy said...

I never got my diploma from the school of hard knocks. Every time I call they keep telling me "it should be in the mail". Flanksters.

sarastrasser said...

I graduated with 3.5 gpa in Beauty School. I only got a 3.5 instead of a 4.0 because I flanked the acryllic nails. Erin can prove that since I put a set of two inch thick nails on her one time. They didn't even last for the walk to the door.

Mary said...

I wish you didn't have spell check because I miss words like "nasp"!

Krissy and Jason said...

I have a degree...it is sitting in a box in my garage doing me a lot of good! However maybe i should look into the hard knocks degree, it will probably be a lot more handy anyway.

Let's face it, anything we read after a book with edward in it is just gonna seem mediocre.