Thursday, September 4, 2008

iPod

I took Homer and my iPod to the park yesterday. I was pushing Homer on the swing--really high just how he likes it--and listening to my iPod--really loud just how I like it.
I started spacing off, not paying any attention to how much time was passing, when someone taps me on the shoulder. Startled, I sort-of jump back and there's this lady giving me a very stern look. I pull out my earphones so I can hear her, and that's when I realize that Homer is bawling. The lady says to me, "He's been asking to get off that swing for quite a while."

So, I think I broke Homer of his whole "swing obsession." It's like when you catch your teenager smoking, and you force them to smoke like ten packs of cigarettes to teach them a lesson.
"Oh, you like the swing, eh? I'll teach you to like the swing."

Speaking of cigarettes, I "ran" with Anthony again last night.
I followed the same "running" pattern as the night before, but I forgot about the whole knee brace thing, and when Anthony noticed, he insisted on stopping by our house and grabbing it for me. Last time I ever fake a knee injury.

Anyway, speaking of cigarettes, there's this house we run past that reeks of cigarettes--the people who live there go outside to smoke around the same time we run. Anthony says it always smells that way. The smell is distinct to me--they smoke the same brand of cigarettes that my Grandma Cordil smoked. Every time we pass that house, my Grandma's face, her voice, and
all her little mannerisms pop into my head. She died in March of 01. Do you think she knows what's going on in my life, that I think of her, and that I still have such a clear, almost perfect memory of her after all this time?
That's the real power of second-hand smoke.

--Deep, Thoughtful, and Obsessed with my iPod Jenny

18 comments:

Amy Thurston said...

Everytime I call Ella's name I think of grandma telling me not to name her that, because once in 1st grade a boy asked grandma if Ella was short for ellaPHANT. That's when she started going by Louise. I also think of her everytime I see or smell someone lighting up. OH, the memories.
I will add your ipod parenting advise to my book.

Amy Thurston said...

Speaking of running with cigarettes, remember when grandma told us we needed more exercise. Then to show us, she walked around the path in our backyard 10 times, while she smoked about 6 cigarettes. I should probably add some of her parenting skills to my book too. I AM GOING TO MAKE A FORTUNE!!!!!!!

Cristin said...

wow your full of tons of parenting wisdom...maybe you should help Amy with her parenting book. Hey I have an idea, you guys could like tour the states and offer parenting classes...maybe even get to be on OPRAH. That would be cool.

Emily said...

Maybe I should try listening to my ipod more often to drown out the whining sounds of my children. Hmm. I'm going to get right on that!

Memzy said...

I never realized just how obsessed with music you are. This further cements your Saint status imho. (in my opinion). Plus, I like imperfect mommies. They are the best. ::pointing to self::

Markie23 said...

I hope the little triangle turning in your stomach has some very sharp corners.

charlie said...

I love the smell of pipe smoke. My great-grandpa smoked one. I was really little when he died, and the only think I remember is yellowed fingers frozen in a pipe-hold grip. You are allowed 2 bad parenting moments a day. (That is per kid)

Landeelu said...

My prediction: Someday, under one of your son's beds, you will find an exact replica of your iPod with pins in it. Complete with hounds tooth cover. Voodoo iPod.

I wish I had a grandma who smoked. That sounds fun.

sarastrasser said...

I am not sure what cigarettes grandma smoked but grandpa smoke Mall Palls with no filters. I used to buy them for him when he lived here and coffee, Red Lobster and cigarettes always makes me think of them. On a side note, the louder my kids are, the higher the volume is on my ipod.

Amanda said...

Things like that have happened to me before. Especially if I'm listening to a book on my MP3 player.

Erin Beck said...

Grandma was the one who taught me that a toucus (is that spelt right?) was actually your bottom not your...BEEP!

abutler said...

Man I'm having a hard time keeping up with your blog.

1. I think it's so great you are running. I love it too.
2. Thanks for picking The Host, you have made my life a little less stressful.
3. I maje it a point NEVER to go to parks with swings. I hate them.
4. I'm so glad you are finally leaving your kids ALONE! Freedom is so sweet.

Landeelu said...

Where are you? This is so unlike you to just let your comments to run free like this with no direction.

I hope you didn't decide to push your computer on the swing & then put your iPod on or something.

Memzy said...

I'm guessing her compy is just as precious an item as her ipod. They are like the Sonny and Cher of her life.

Jami said...

i obviously need to buy an ipod...

ajesplin said...

L--sorry about that, I'm still here, enjoying all the brilliant comments. Lets keep 'em clean, umk?

Jana said...

My daughter is obsessed with swings too and I try to discourage it as much as possible. Pushing for long periods of time will make my right arm much buffer than my left- when I already have ridiculously toned arms.

Jami said...

Ok...rephrase. My husband and I do own an ipod, I just don't ever see it...'nuff said