Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Other Laughter Problem:

Spontaneous Bursts of Body-Wracking Laughter in the Middle of the Night, or Aftershock Laughter.

First, I can't express how much I enjoyed our Smart Remarks book club meeting last night (And it could keep going if you decide you want to play along and post something). I laughed so hard, it quickly went from enjoyable laughter, to painful, uncontrolled, can't breathe laughter. (This is my secret to rock-hard abs.) I know Amy had the same problem, because she called late last night and there was a good three or four minutes of us just trying to catch our breath, our voices all high and squeaky from trying to talk through it.

So, after that, I settled into bed kinda late, Anthony turned off his Nintendo DS and then rolled over and flung his arm around me, nestling me close in his embrace (yes, I used the word nestling and embrace, and we always sleep like that). Then out of the blue, a few smart remarks from last night's meeting started to pop into my head and I began to burst out laughing in regular 15-20 second intervals. It was an accumulation of all the comments, but mainly Landeelu's comments on Cristin's blog, that made me lose sleep laughing. (Don't read them if you haven't read the book because they contain huge spoilers--plus, you wouldn't get it). But once I got going on that, everything was super hilarious, and I started to think about Tom's hilarious post yesterday and my subsequent hilarious comment (again, you have to really know Tom to grasp the hilarity of it), and I could Not Stop Laughing.

Anthony endured my laughter in silence for a good twenty minutes, never bothering to ask why I was laughing, knowing he wouldn't get it, too tired to care, before he sighed and rolled over to his side of the bed. I curled up in my own little fetal position and tried to prevent my body-wracking laughter from shaking his side of the bed. I don't know how late I stayed up laughing, I didn't want to look at the clock, but I swear it was starting to get light outside by the time I fell asleep.

Now that's a problem.

PS--I seem to recall Mark having the same problem on a public bus. Lemme find that old post... here it is. See, I'm not the only weirdo.

8 comments:

Cristin said...

Last night was awesome! I easily reached my minimum laugh requirements for the day. I was so wired from laughing that I couldn't go to sleep so I finished off another book. haha

Katie or Tom said...

Oh yes, Tom's blog is the only one I was allowed to visit, you know, since I am the only one in the whole world that hasn't read those books. Good times. I heard laughter is the best medicine. Is it Jenny? Is it?

Landeelu said...

I too had the giggles but GtyCent is out of town so I didn't even have to try and hide it.

Thanks for letting me partake in the book club. What's the next book? I don't want to miss out on any of this action.

Amy Thurston said...

I had to leave the bedroom entirely, I could not regain control of myself. It was all too much. I ended up in the recliner until about 1:00 just laughing like some sort of psycho. I agree, we need a new book now. The more ridiculously dramatic the better. It's gotta be "Lord of the Hissy-Fit" for sure now.

Amy Thurston said...

OKAY, I just for the first time actually let your music play. That is histerical! I never listened to the word before. Definitely a great tribute band to Bella Cullen.

Anna Celeste said...

I didn't read all the comments before I left mine. I'll have to go back and enjoy that. That is great! The best part is Anthony's response.

abutler said...

I am feeling so left out but I can't go back and read any book reviews. I have 120 pgs left and i am so bummed you didn't wait for me. Should I take it personally?

Markie23 said...

At least your farther ahead than me Anna. I am REALLY bummed!