Friday, August 29, 2008

Dear Scott (AKA Amanda),

This is my dad's old fireproof box from when he was in Vietnam. He gave it to me when I was a kid because I needed a fireproof box.



The box is stuffed full of *flammable* letters from my cousin Amanda.



And there's a few other things in there that I did not want to burn, like my Dukes of Hazard coloring book.



When we were kids, me, Amanda, and my sister Sara were especially close--the bestest cousins that ever lived! I have so many fond childhood memories of the three of us. We didn't live in the same town, but around 8 years old, we started keeping excellent correspondence with each other through these things called letters (similar to email). Sometimes we'd get letters three or four days in a row from Amanda. They were always rather brief, but very profound.

I took out a couple at random and found a few gems. (click and enlarge if they're hard to read)



This one was addressed to Sam and Sahar Morgan (new names we had decided to go by). Amanda later requested that we call her Scott (thus the title of my post).





We would always close our letters by writing out our secret "123, 123, 123" clap that we made up.



We each vowed to never perform our secret clap with anyone other than the three of us. One day, my evil sister Erin convinced Amanda to break the vow and do the clap with her, by telling Amanda that Sara and I do the clap with her all the time at home. Of course, that wasn't true, but Amanda believed her and broke the vow. I walked up on the scene of Amanda and Erin preforming the clap just as they were doing the final spin, and I was like, "Nooooooooo." And then Erin started jumping around and cheering and saying, "Woohoo, Amanda did the clap with me, Woohoo!" That's when Amanda realized she'd been duped. It was a dark day indeed.

Anyway, Amanda just turned 30 (old, huh?) and I wanted to share these letters with her and all the internet pervs, so she can remember the days when she was young and her biggest concern was breaking the 123, 123, 123 clap vow.

Hope you had a happy birthday, Amanda!

123, 123, 123, OWE!
I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL
GOOD!

23 comments:

Memzy said...

I want a secret clap.

ps. you never cease to amaze me at your ability to hold on to things from the past and post about them. I'm jealous.

::clap clap::

Amy Thurston said...

You three were the cutest, grubiest things ever!

Landeelu said...

If I flew to Vegas would you do the secret clap with me? Amanda & I have already done it tons so it wouldn't be a big deal or anything. I was just wondering.

You gize kill me!

Emily said...

Yeah, I was definitely NOT a part of your little "club" but that's ok, I'm over it.

Cristin said...

boy, I sure wish I was part of a secret club...that sure looks fun... I sure like secret clubs....sigh..yeah I really like secret clubs...I sure wish someone invite me to there secret club and do secret claps with me... *heavy sigh*

Cristin said...

Emily, me and you should create our own club and make up our own clap.

Markie23 said...

I'm glad none of the other cousins got the clap.

Katie or Tom said...

So were the names code so no one would know who you were? I wonder who Sahar could be?!?! I am going to give you a break because you were young and inexperienced in the art of choosing good fake names.

Shed said...

I may be misinterpreting things but did Mark just lay out a S.T.D. joke?

sarastrasser said...

The clap wasn't all we had....we also had our secret word of the day. Like that one time when it was "gize". If I couldn't remember how to spell guys, I would probably do gize. It makes sense.

ajesplin said...

Geez Mark! You were the internet perv I was referring to. I gotta go give the wife a little pickle tickle now, so bye.

Katie or Tom said...

Sherod, Tim and I had a secret clap that alerted us when the authorities were coming. We used it when we were breaking into Pioneer Village. We called it the "Hey Sherod go tell your parents" clap.

TIT

Memzy said...

just a guess that one is Tom up there^^

Amy Thurston said...

I was telling Dwight about Mark's "clap" comment, and didn't realize the kids had answered the door, and their friend's mom was standing there hearing me tell my husband "get it? the clap? Mark made a joke about 'the clap'?" I am sure she was thrilled to leave her kids with me.

Amanda said...

Wow a post about me! I would be flattered if it didn't display how stupid I was! But thanks. I did enjoy it. 123! 123! 123! Owe! I Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel Good!!!

ajesplin said...

Hey, I dragged that nasty, old, stinky box out of my spider infested, 110 degree garage, and went through dozens of monotonous, musty, old-smelling letters, completely grossed out (had to take a shower after)... and you "would be flattered IF"... uh, you BETTER be flattered. I don't go to such lengths for just any old schmo...

123,123,123 OWE! I feeeel good!

Amy Thurston said...

Find one of the papers that had your "rules" on it.

Landeelu said...

I'm so confused by the "OWE"... at first I was thinking it was pronounced like ow-eee. Then I thought it was like OW!... now I'm thinking you gize meant OH!

These are the things that keep me up at night so plzthanks clarify ASAP.

ajesplin said...

"OWE" is how three girls who can't spell, spell "OW." K, you gize? K!

Memzy said...

Now, when you did the clap, were you in the middle Jenny and Sara and Amanda were at your flanks?

Memzy said...

Crouching in anticipation?

Katie or Tom said...

Wait, I thought it was owe like ouch...or cow...right? That would sound totally stupid if you yelled, "OH" Actually, it wouldn't, now that I have yelled it in my head. Yeah, it really could go either way.

sarastrasser said...

Hey gize, to avoid confusion to less cool, maybe we should change the "owe" to "OH YEAH". Try it out.
123 123 123 OH YEAH! I feeeeeeeeeeel good!!!
We can vote about it with the next smart remarks book club. When are we voting again?? Please, please, please, no books written before 1990. They are too boring.