Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Crystal Palace

I took the boys roller skating tonight. Here are some blurry cellphone pictures...













It was a little freaky cuz I couldn't stop thinking about this:


(That's my sister Sara, in case you didn't know, with a 10lb. roller skate dangling from her broken leg.)

If you want the gory details on her injuries, Sara wrote about it on her blog here. But she never told the story of what actually happened that fateful night one year ago at her local roller rink. Maybe she should blog the story. C'mon, Sara, blog it!

The skates they gave us were so ancient--no ankle support and really heavy. I was really worried about Cord's rather thin legs snapping--the skates weighed more than him I'm sure. But the kids had so much fun, they're begging me to take them back. I don't know what to do! I kinda had fun too. I kept having flashbacks of my own childhood rollerskating experiences: the couples only skating, the boys, the lights, the sound of Airsupply buzzing through the speakers...
Cord insists he wants to get a job at a roller rink when he's a teenager so he can skate around all night (and meet chicks, too).


7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I guess I'm wondering who had the audacity to take that picture of your sister & her broken leg. "I'd totally help you up but wait... k, smile!" If I had seen that in person, I'd never roller-skate again. Nast.

Memzy said...

I was trying to eat my breakfast but.....

Maybe that should be a post of yours: the story of Sara breaking her leg. Cuz I have never heard it.

And shyeah! Send me the link to you scout thingy if you don't mind. I'd love to see it!

emilykw8@gmail.com

Amanda said...

I was thinking how we needed to take our kids skating again. It's been too long. Then I saw Sara's picture again. After I vomited, I changed my mind. Thanks.

sarastrasser said...

Amanda, I hope you were able to catch that vomit into a ziplock baggy. I will never ever ever go rolloer skating again and my kids will never go again and my children's children wil never go roller skating. I can't believe you did it, Jenny.

Cristin said...

I can't believe you went roller skating after seeing Sara's leg...nasty!!!! I don't want to roller skate because of that picture and when I was younger I thought for sure I would be a Roller Skating Champion of the WORLD.

But it looked like fun and there you go again being a cool mom. I might have to ban myself from reading your blog...I can't take the pressure.

Katie or Tom said...

I don't think I have ever been disappointed when I went skating. I've seen a broken arm, a lover's quarrel (you know, the guy's girlfriend skates too close to another guy...), and some fabulous backward skating by an older gent in scandalously short shorts.

Memzy said...

"I'm all out of love.....I'm so lost without you..."