Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Wrapping It Up

OK, these are the last few pictures I'm going to post from our NYC trip. Then I'll stop. If you don't like these pictures then you're not an American. You're a terrorist.


There is a lot of symbolism in the picture below. It starts a conversation that we as Americans need to have. (Please discuss in the comments.)


There were pennies (turning green) all over the dock.



Ellis Island. More than 12 million immigrants passed through here between 1892-1954 (including Bob Hope). There were so many interesting stories here; we didn't have as much time to spend here as we would have liked. It was an interesting time in American history.





In honor of 4th of July, here's a very dramatic video:

video

6 comments:

TimW8 said...

I hope you kept an eye on those turban guys. Even though I think they're from India not some Arab country. Nice video cool effect.

Amy Thurston said...

Today is Canada's "4th of July", but I bet you could not have made such a dramatic video about immigrants who traveled there. Our flag has real symbolism. Theirs just makes you want pancakes.

Katie or Tom said...

Wow, I was not expecting that at all. I thought I was looking for Bob Hope, and I was worrying because I wasn't sure I would even recognize him if I did see him. Thank goodness it was just Anthony being totally awesome and making a flag.

Amanda said...

So were those two men two terroists working on their next plot or what? Scary.

Memzy said...

Man, I can't keep up with your posts! (which is a good thing btw)

1. Homer is the most awesomerest name EVAH. Happy B-day to him.
2. I share your memories of a "first time" apartment. Mine included 6 steps down (it was in a basement) and wearing a ski cap to bed at night (onnacuzza the cold not escaping from my head). Soo, yeeeah. I feel you.
3. I had no idea Anthony had those magical powers. Have you looked into getting him in a show there in LV? I'd pay to see him.

Markie23 said...

I thought lost luggage was a modern invention. I can't believe how many immigrants left their luggage behind. It was nice of our government to put them on display.
"Alright Mr. Slovignofski, your name is now Smith, and you should receive your luggage in about 8 weeks."