Wednesday, May 28, 2008

To Be Clear...

In my last post, Marmzie made a silly comment (actually, 2 comments) that I made her and Popsicle sound like "petty parents who traumatized our kids by denying them milk, places to sit, the use of any writing materials, etc. etc. and punished them brutally for any minor infraction of the oppressive rules! I sure hope Health and Welfare doesn't get a look at these blogs!!!"

First, I wanted to say that health and welfare does look at my blog. They've had their eye on me for years. However, making a child write an essay when they break a rule is not "brutal." It is a creative and effective alternative to spanking or grounding (<--those punishments were all the rage in the 80s). If I thought making a child write an essay was "brutal," I would not implement it in my home. Doy.

Second, anyone with kids would totally get the "don't sit in that chair" rule, the "milk for breakfast only" rule, the "downstairs bathroom is for guests only" rule, etc, etc, etc. The chair will get trashed, there will be no milk for breakfast in the morning, one bathroom needs to be clean for surprise visitors, etc. Those rules aren't petty. But they are funny, because, to kids, breaking one of those rules was devastatingly serious, right up there with robbing a bank.

So, Marmzie, don't be a ninny. So sensitive.

By the way, although I don't have a "special" chair the kids can't sit in, I wish that I did. If I had a chair like the one below, I wouldn't let anyone sit on it.


I do have a "no toys downstairs" rule, and a "popcorn and water are the only foods allowed upstairs" rule. Anyone else care to share their unreasonable house rules?

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I didn't see how that post would have upset anyone until I read this post and then looked back. But I get where you were coming from and the intent. Nobody REALLY wants to know the kind of parent I am.

Erin Beck said...

Monday Maddie took the slime out of one of those squishy kids toys and threw it up on the ceiling. being that my ceilings are about 12 ft high and I have no ladder it has remained up there and looks like a wet piece of toilet paper that a kid would throw up on the school bathroom ceiling. Until it falls down (never)She will be folding all laundry and putting it away. Im really hoping she does it again!!

Amy Thurston said...

I like to give my kids punishments like, rubbing my feet with lotion. I have thought about doing the essays as well, but I have a hard time reading their writing. I could make them type an essay though. I LOVE the no using the downstairs bathroom, no food upstairs, and no eating in the car rule, but Dwight just can't seem to help himself.

Sam, Shel & Co said...

I have a "no eating in the family room" rule, even though the family room, dining room and kitchen are pretty much all one room. I got tired of finding bread crusts in the couch cushions.

We also have a "no liquid in the bedrooms or office rule" which came about as water/soda got knocked over and irrepairably damaged assorted items, including a computer.

We also have an unspoken rule still in effect for Meghan, "don't pour her any more liquid than you or she is willing to clean up when it gets spilled". Even though she's 11, she's still a monkey sometimes.

Emily said...

That chair! Wow. I think your Mom's punishments were brilliant and obviously effective. There's a lot to be said for cleanliness and order.

Cristin said...

Now you've done it...you big trouble maker! haha

Well, I'm the complete opposite, my house is pretty free, which would explain my nasty carpet, my broken food encrusted couches and my dirty bathrooms including my main floor bathroom. Luckily, I don't have many friends or people who make surprise visits, otherwise I'd have to get my act together. Or maybe I don't have many friends because they've seen my bathrooms....

Katie or Tom said...

I have a no one allowed to even come to the stairs to ask for anything after 7:30. Don't even think about stepping a foot downstairs. there is water in the bathroom sink, and cheerios in the couch. I will be up at 8:00 for kisses and a story, if you are lucky. Also, only one glass of milk with dinner, Thomas, when you are completely finished, you can have another.

Memzy said...

No touching your hair after I put hair paste in it to make it look like I didn't try to make your hair look just right rule.

I'm weird about throw pillows (Shed can attest to that). So, I have a put the throw pillows back where they were after you skwoooshed them all about rule. I usually end up doing it after that tho, cuz they don't do it right.

^^ocd?

Katie or Tom said...

Last night we watched "Wife Swap", 'cause my good friends Dave and Russ Openshaw's sister was one of the wives being swapped. They made her out to be a royal bitch "cause she made her kids write a 5 paragraph essay every time they didn't follow a rule.
The other wife was called "a totally radical skater mom who was awesome to the max" (no kidding, thats how the announcer referred to her).
I think the essays Mom and Dad had us write ruled and I have decided to make my kids write one every time they are naughty (instead of beating them and making them sleep in the garage, for some reason that just makes it worse)
BTY she is now suing the producers of the show for portraying her in a negative light.
TIT peace out y'all

Mary said...

Okay, I feel better now. Thanks for the follow up, Jenny!