Monday, May 5, 2008

Our 911 emergency

Our doorbell rang at about 10:00pm last night. It kind of freaked us out because it was so late and we weren't expecting anyone--keep in mind that we live in Las Vegas. Anthony tried to see who it was through the peep hole but the porch light was burnt-out and it was too dark. We decided to just ignore whoever was at the door, assuming they would go away when we didn't answer, but that didn't happen. They started pounding on the door, so hard, it sounded like they were going to break the door down. We sneaked upstairs, looked through the blinds, and noticed there was no car parked out front which made us more suspicious. We definitely were not going to open the door. About five minutes passed and the pounding on our door and door-bell ringing became louder and more insistent. The boys were getting out of bed to see what was going on and I was trying to get them to stay in their room. I was really freaked out, but trying to stay calm. Then I noticed someone was in our backyard with a flash light. It was time to call 911. I ran into my room to grab a phone, and when I passed by the high window above our front door, I saw one guy pass beneath a street light as he circled our house and realized it was a cop. I told Anthony and he ran down and answered the door.

There were four cops at our house, two in front, and two about to break down our back door. They said someone from our house had called 911, then hung up, and when the operator called back to see if everything was OK, someone at our house answered the phone, said "hello" amid chaotic nosies (translation: three boys), and quickly hung up. I was totally shaking as the cop was talking and I kept saying "nobody called 911, you must have the wrong house. I'm sure my kids didn't call 911--I would have known. They never play on the phone." I'm sure we seemed suspicious because we wouldn't answer the door, and I was totally stumbling over my words. He made us check our caller ID to see if the 911 operator number was on there and it wasn't. We also checked the last three numbers dialed from our phone, and 911 wasn't on there. They eventually left but I could tell they really didn't trust us.

We went upstairs to question the boys, who were awake by this point, and Gus had this petrified look on his face--it was kind-of sad, but we were too mad at the time to notice.

After reassuring him that we weren't going to hurt him, he quietly told us that he was playing with the "old-fashioned" phone in the kitchen (we keep it unplugged, but he had plugged it in)--this is why it didn't show up on our caller Id, and Gus must have answered the call from the 911 operator before it rang, because we also never heard our phone ring.



He said he didn't know he had called 911 so I couldn't really be mad at him for not telling us about it earlier, but I was stressed that I had been so insistent to the cops that nobody from our house had called 911, when clearly someone had. I'm probably on some list of suspicious people who lie to cops, or on a list of houses that may have fishy activity going on. I can't lie to a cop! That's breaking some serious rule and I'm not a rule breaker.


10 comments:

Markie23 said...

Wow that is such and exciting story! We caught Samantha playing with the phone when she was just a tiny tot. As soon as we hung it up, it rang and it was 911 asking if someone called from our apartment.

When I was a kid (probably around 6 - 8 yrs. old) I pulled a fire alarm in our neighborhood. I don't remember if it was on a dare, or just curiosity, but the fire department came with sirens blaring. I remember denying it, but I probably had such a guilty look on my face that they knew it was me. They put the fear of God in me, and I never touched it again.

Katie or Tom said...

I used to call 911 all the time. The cops never showed up. I guess they take that sort of thing a bit more seriously here in Las Vegas.
Did you call 911 to tell them that you HAD actually called them?

Amanda said...

We have had a few really bad run-ins with police. They never trust us! I have decided I really don't like them.

Emily said...

^^So true! Amanda could write a book about her 9-1-1 "emergencies."
I think the last time I was at her house one of my kids, along with hers made the call. It's not a matter of IF they are going to do it, it's WHEN. Glad you can join the rest of us now:)~!

Cristin said...

Oh Great, now I'm scared that one of my kids is going to do it. Luckily, we only use cell phones, so I think I'm gonna have to keep a closer watch on mine. YIKES! On the bright side, at least you know they will respond and are very diligent.

Memzy said...

Oh no. This hasn't happened to me yet. ::crossing both fingers, arms, legs and toes::

Memzy said...

I guess it's good to know that if you WERE having an emergency, the cops would help you out, no?

sarastrasser said...

One time Morgan called 911 and hung up. After the policia came , I questioned him too about if he was the one who called. He denied it, of course, but I could totally tell he was lying. Seriously though, one time I saw cops show up to my neighbors house. There was two of them and it was a stormy evening. I noticed her husband's car still wasn't home from work yet. The cops were there for few minutes and then left. So of course I started looking through the pantry trying to find a treat to take over to so I could get the gossip but before I could get over there she was franticly running out the door with her kids. I was so conviced that her husband got in a car wreck and was dying at the hospital. So I called a friend and asked her to call her friend who had a neighbor who was my neighbors sister in law. Turns out her son was playing around too and called 911 and she was running late for a nephews birthday pary (the same nephew whose house I had someone call to find out what was going on). Yeah, I am one of those neighbors but one day I am going to see something suspicious and save someones life. I've got their backs.

Mary said...

I can completely picture your fear, Jenny,as the police were questioning you. I'm just glad that you answered the door before they beat it down. Thanks for not doing that to when you were a kid!

abutler said...

That has totally happened to us before. I was so mad at my kids. They always have a way of making you feel like you are the most irresponsible parent EVER!