Sunday, May 18, 2008

Chroni-WHAT-cles of Narnia: Prince Whatshisface


We took the kids to see the second Chronicles of Narnia movie, and I highly recommend it. It made me want to read the series--something the first movie didn't accomplish. The kids loved it--as we were leaving, Cord looked at me and said, "You know what? I think that was the best movie I've ever seen in my life." We see a lot of movies, and he's never said that before.





It was really fast-paced and action-y, with lots of interesting battle scenes, so if you have one of those kids that suddenly turn all ADHD at the movies, or if you are one of those parents who turn all ADHD at the mention of going to a kid's movie, you both might do all right at this one. Homer is not even 3 yet, and he sat through the entire thing without a peep. Well, he did get distracted at one point when he spotted a huge, brown recluse spider on the wall. He stared at it for about 30 minutes, and reported to Anthony every so often, "Dad, it's moving." He missed the climax of the movie! Ah, well.





One of our favorite things to do (me and the kids) is go to the movies. Anthony used to stay home with Homer because he wouldn't sit through an entire movie. The last few summers, Cord, Gus, and I would see a new movie every Friday. Good memories. It's a great time for family movies--there were never this many choices when I was a kid. Now, Homer is starting to love going to the movies too. He's loved the last few movies we've taken him to. I think it's so cool we can finally go as a family, but Anthony's not as into movies as the rest of us (ADHD parent).





Something else that has changed: at the end of the movie, when "Susan" kissed the prince, Gus slapped his hands over his eyes as usual, but Cord didn't. He watched. Then he leaned over and whispered to me, "I had a feeling about those two from the beginning. There was a spark between them." Kissing isn't gross anymore. And it begins with a "feeling" or a "spark" between a boy and a girl.



When we got home, Cord told me an "embarrassing" story, with the condition that I would not post it on my blog. I lied to his face and he told me. He was walking down the hall at school with a girl and he smelled something. He said, "I smell something." She answered, "That's my lip-gloss." and he said, "Good job." He hadn't meant to say that, but when she said, "That's my lip-gloss," he got all nervous and that's what came out. Then he told me, "Mom, don't think she's evil. She's a German, but she is NOT a Nazi."

7 comments:

Katie or Tom said...

"that's my lip gloss." is the oldest one in the book. All the same, I am glad she isn't a nazi. Like I always say, "I don't care if it is a movie or a spider, as long as they are quiet and still." Don't I always say that? Have you ever heard that Phish song about prince whatsisface? Topical, but unimpressive. it has been playing on a loop in my head since this movie came out.

sarastrasser said...

It really doesn't matter if she is a Nazi or not because Cord is so blonde. I too am looking forward to seeing that movie but I have a LONG way to go before I can go to the movies with my whole family.

Amanda said...

That Nazi commment is hilarious! You're a great movie critic. We'll have to see that one.

Cristin said...

What a relief to know she's not a nazi!!!! missed a bullet with that one.

I LOVED the movie too, in fact I read your review right before I took Jackson to go see it. He pretty much spent the whole movie sitting on the edge of his seat. It was kind of painful to "hold it" the whole movie. I kept thinking there was going to be a down time where i could run and..you know, but there wasn't. Word to the wise don't drink 44 oz while watching a 21/2 movie.

Emily said...

Cord is a cool kid!

Rob took the kids last weekend to see it and they loved it--much better than the first.

abutler said...

I am totally excited about taking my kids to that movie now. I really liked the 1st one. Loved Cords story at the end too.

Michelle said...

Movie was good - also enjoyed it. I need to read the other books now. Oh Cord...you're too young to like girls!!!