Sunday, April 13, 2008

New Blankets

As I mentioned in the last post, Tom's kids are staying with me over the weekend (Tom, Katie, and Atticus are in New Orleans, helping victims of Katrina or something like that), and I've been trying to think of things to do with all these the kids. On Friday, I got this brilliant idea to take the kids to the fabric store, let them pick out their own fabric, and make blankets. I had this vision in my head of us all sitting in a circle, threading needles and sewing while we chit-chatted about life. Being the mother of three, I should know that kids can't sew. At all.

So instead I ended up with six blankets to sew by myself, and six kids in various states of distress, telling me to "hurry up" "I want my blanket" "make my blanket" "When are you going to make mine" "Are you almost done" "Are you done yet" "Are you done yet" The stress level went through the roof when they informed me I had a deadline to meet. See, they had planned a "blanket party" with their new blankets that was to start at 8:00PM sharp! (That's when the premiere of the new Sponge Bob episode started) All six of them insisted on sitting right next to me and counting down the minutes, no matter how many times I told them to go away. Anyway, I'm proud to say that I made the deadline, by a few minutes, meaning that I was able to make six blankets in three hours. Not too shabby.

When you see the pictures of the final result, keep in mind that I let the kids pick their own material, and no matter how hard I tried to explain that bright yellow and purple make a hideous combination, or that Snoopy is so 1980s, I couldn't get any of them to budge on their decisions. (My original vision also included aesthetically pleasing blankets--didn't completely happen) But they are crazy about them blankets, and it's probably because they picked out their own material.

Here's Violet with her "Bayers" blanket. She started bawling when I gave her the finished blanket because she found a few crooked seems. Geez. From then on, I had to exercise precision.


Here's Thomas' "fire" blanket. He could not get over how cool he is that he picked it. (He refused to be in the picture, though, because his foot hurt)


Ha! Got him.

Here's Hazel with her "Mermaids and Rainbows" blanket.


Here's Homer with his "Noopy" blanket. (It's impossible to get a clear picture of this kid)


Here's Gus with his "Pirate" blanket.


Here's Cord with his "Sharks" blanket.


Anyway, they had tons of fun wrestling around and playing with their blankets. Static hair flying everywhere.

9 comments:

Cristin said...

Well I'm impressed, the blankets are adorable and I'm completely impressed that you took all the kids to the fabric store. Your the best Mom and Aunt in the whole world!

Emily said...

What a great aunt!! I think it would have taken me 3 hours just to figure out how to thread the sewing machine. Impressive!

Memzy said...

I never knew you were so gifted at so many things. I'm feeling more inferior by the moment. Maybe a trip to Home Depot would do the trick.

Markie23 said...

First of all: I thought you couldn't think of anything to say!!! Next time I'll just start cutting and pasting from your blog entries for the newsletter. Don't feel too guilty though... you have a LOT of company.

Secondly: I love the blankets.

Lastly: Put me in the category of those who would need a lot of help with their Lowes or HD project.

Katie or Tom said...

My kids had the best time. I don't tgink they have had this much fun with blankets since the last time you made blankets. That's right everyone, this isn't the first time.
I think when I watch your kids we are going to charter a plane to wyoming to dig for dinosaur bones. Even that doesn't sound as cool as everything you did.

Katie or Tom said...

I know you are busy, but you have obligations here...

abutler said...

WOW!!! You have totally motivated me. You are a great Mom and a wonderful Aunt. I'll be dropping my kids of next weekend...blankets please.

Markie23 said...

Was it something I said? Is that why you haven't blogged for so long? I'm sorry. Please forgive me!! Our seniors graduated this morning, there is no one on my floor, and I am very bored. sigh...

new blankets said...

nice post is good