Saturday, April 5, 2008

Free Home Makeover

We've been doing some serious spring cleaning this past week. For those of you who are not familiar with our house, in the upstairs "south-wing" (we live in a mansion, BTW), we have the kids' bedrooms, the bonus room, and a junk room (similar to the junk drawer you might have in your kitchen). We don't clean this wing of the house, we make the kids do it. Lately, the contents of the junk room have been spilling out into other areas of the house, so Anthony and I decided it was time to step in and help. We threw out countless trash bags of old toys and junky stuff, rearranged the furniture, and was shocked to uncover so much space! Our bonus room seems twice as big. I wish I would have taken before pictures, but I didn't think about it. Here are the afters:



We took apart Homer's toddler bed and packed it away in the garage, and then we unburied an old bed from beneath a pile of junk in the junk room and set it up in Homer's room. The bed was Cord and Gus's when they were little, about 5 years ago, and it matches Homer's "babyish" room perfectly. He looks so small on such a tall bed. He loves it!



Cord and Gus's room is pretty much the same. I push their beds together when we have company stay with us and they decided they like it that way so we left it. (Usually the beds are against opposite walls with the window and night stand between). It's a very plain room. Next project will be painting it.



Two pictures hang on the wall that you can't see in that picture. My niece, Maddie Beck, who is a natural artist, drew the first one for me when she was about four-years-old and it's one of my favorites. (Those are Ninja Turtles, BTW) Cord drew the second picture when he was about the same age. (It's an alien)



Below are pictures of what used to be the "junk room," and is now the "playroom." This room was wall to wall, floor to ceiling filled with junk. I'm only slightly exaggerating. We took all the toys out of the bonus room and moved them in here. I still have a huge pile of toys to sort through, most of which will be thrown out or given to goodwill, but you would be impressed if you saw how big the pile was when we started. Eventually, all the toys will fit in that closet. All that will be in this room is the kids' computer, a shelf, and an open area to play.



The End

9 comments:

Katie or Tom said...

I am envious. I wish I was already done with my spring cleaning. I am lacking motivation.

Amy Thurston said...

I love your new bonus room!

abutler said...

WOW! Are you for hire? I need some major help.

Shed said...

Your house is like MTV cribs up in there. J-Lo style. I'm breaking one of the ten commandments. ::covet::

Memzy said...

woopsies ^^ that's actually me up there. i forgot to sign in as myself

sarastrasser said...

I love throwing away toys. I do it twice a year (beginning of summer and Christmas time). It makes the whole house seem cleaner if the closets and drawers are cleaned out.

Sam, Shel & Co said...

I need to hire Sara and Jenny to come clean out our junk room. Oh wait, I think that's junk rooms. OK, every room but the front room.

We are actually making some progress...or at least I thought we were. Sam threw away about a ton of junk out of his office (it's supposed to be OUR office, but there's no room in there for me.) Somehow, though, more snuck in and it looks about the same as it always has. Hmmm.

Cristin said...

So, when are you heading to Oregon to come Spring Clean my house???? I need help...lots and lots of help. LM started cleaning out our junk room,hopefully it'll be all cleaned out by next spring.

Emily said...

My name is Emily and I throw away my children's toys. Seriously, I have a problem. Probably every few months I go around with a trash bag and just throw everything away that they don't play with. It's bad. I don't even take the time to donate it. I'm working on that problem. Good job getting so much done! Your house looks great!