Monday, February 18, 2008

All About the Boys

On Friday, I got my schoolwork done early and surprised Cord and Gus by picking them up early from school for an evening out with yours truly, the coolest mom in America. I had just finished telling the school secretary that I was taking the boys to the dentist, when Gus burst into the office shouting, “We’re going to the movies!” He caught me off guard (since he guessed correctly), and I completely froze up. There goes my responsible-mother image, but the boys were giddy with excitement so it was worth it.

We saw The Spiderwick Chronicles, and, as most kids were still in school, we had the theater almost completely to ourselves. We got huge Slurpees and I brought along a big bag of Valentines’ Day candy. The movie (which is based on all five books in the series) pleasantly surprised me. It was fast paced and exciting. I am convinced it’s better than the book series, but to be fair, I only read the first book—I wasn’t impressed enough to buy the subsequent books but maybe I’ll give them another shot.


To top it all off, when we got home we had breakfast for dinner. That's when I was officially declared the coolest mom in America, and I humbly accepted the title. Anthony is determined to beat me, and thinks he's going to let the boys ditch school next Friday to go fishing with him, and then he's going to give them ice cream for dinner. What should I do?

3 comments:

sarastrasser said...

Don't let Anthony beat you, Jenny. You have to be cooler and skipping the WHOLE day of school AND getting ice cream for dinner is way cooler.

Cristin said...

You are the coolest mom! Now I need to do something cooler than you so I can be the coolest mom...oh the pressure.....

Emily said...

That was a very cool-mom thing to do. How fun!